English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Made a batch (22) of english muffins today.

img_1416000_0_e2379ef7af8fa04e3db8a1a9c4197093.jpg

Last time I made homemade English Muffins, I was surprised that after some research, the recipe was a simple yeast-raised bread dough, rolled out to about an inch thick. The muffins were cut by using a washed out, large can from whole tomatoes. The little nooks and crannies were developed by inserting the tines of a fork sideways to the center of the round muffin, in the center high of course. You just poke the whole rim.

To cook them, the recipe said to use a dry, flat pan (11 inch cast iron for me), and sprinkle corn meal into the pan. Place the uncooked, risen muffins on the pan, and cook over medium heat until golden. Flip and repeat.

The bread recipe I used was a typical home-made bread recipe, with flour, milk, water, oil, salt, sugar, and yeast. They came out wonderful.

I'd like to see the op's recipe as well, and compare it to what I used. The pictures show very nice English muffins. I should make some for supper tonight, maybe with a poached egg and some Hollendaise sauce and a little ham, or even just with butter and honey.

S&P, see whatcha did? Now I'm hungry for English muffins, and I'm gonna have to work to make them.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yep, I never slice English muffins with a knife...I stand them on end and poke a fork through them just enough to be able to hand split.

I'm craving English muffins now...:yum:

Last edited:
Those are beautiful, S&P. I used to premake egg "McMuffins" and freeze them, though I bought my English muffins. And they were pre-poked, never sliced.

Last edited:
... The little nooks and crannies were developed by inserting the tines of a fork sideways to the center of the round muffin, in the center high of course. You just poke the whole rim...

Chief, I think the nooks and crannies are formed by the air pockets made by the yeast. When I cut an EM in half with a knife, the N&C are there.

Chief, I think the nooks and crannies are formed by the air pockets made by the yeast. When I cut an EM in half with a knife, the N&C are there.

Ok, you got me. But I think you get better nooks and crannies if they're fork split. But I would have to try both methods ti see if that is true.

In any case, they are really great made fresh.:)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nice! I haven't made English Muffins for awhile (on the "bucket list" for the young lads--we're doing croissants next time, so probably not until May and we'll probably do whole wheat ones). I use my lefse griddle sprinkled with cornmeal.

lefse grill, lefse griddle, bethany lefse grill, bethany lefse griddle, non-stick lefse grill, teflon lefse grill

For those who haven't made English Muffins, they are easy and fun to make.
When I make English muffins, I use the recipe from Joy of Cooking, th edition from the '70s. I just replace the AP flour in the recipe with whole wheat flour and it works great. I have even made them on an electric skillet in hotel rooms.

I have made them a couple of times using an empty both ends cut out veggie can. Poached eggs fit much better on them. Julia suggested using tuna cans. I think they are too small. :angel:

I have made them a couple of times using an empty both ends cut out veggie can. Poached eggs fit much better on them. Julia suggested using tuna cans. I think they are too small. :angel:
You can't use a regular can opener on the bottom of the tuna cans I have seen for at least 10 years. :(

You can't use a regular can opener on the bottom of the tuna cans I have seen for at least 10 years. :(

I know. I saved a couple of the old fashioned tuna cans that I opened from both ends, they still reside in my little cooking stuff junk drawer. Best thing ever for home-made Egg McMuffins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom