English Toffee Banana Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
Here is banana bread that is a hit in our house.
Enjoy! Debbie

English Toffee Banana Bread

img_529355_0_7ccbcceaf989af6e5c3e6972a7786dbc.jpg

2 cup(s) BANANAS; Ripe, Mashed.
1/4 cup(s) CRISCO; Shortening.
1/2 cup(s) BUTTER; Softened.
1 1/2 cup(s) SUGAR
4 EGGS
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) VANILLA
3 cup(s) FLOUR
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) BAKING SODA
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) SALT
1/2 teaspoon(s) CINNAMON
1 cup(s) ENGLISH TOFFEE BITS; Plus 2 Tablespoons.
_____

In a mixing bowl cream together the butter, shortening and sugar.
Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
Blend in mashed bananas until mixed well.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
Stir in 1 cup toffee bits.
Pour batter into 2 greased loaf pans.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon each of toffee bits over each loaf and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Remove bread from pan to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Makes 2 loaves.
_____

That looks really good and I'd love to make it, but unfortunately all my toffee candies are covered in chocolate. Will make it soon, though.

That looks really good and I'd love to make it, but unfortunately all my toffee candies are covered in chocolate. Will make it soon, though.

I buy the bag of Heath English Toffee Bites and they are covered with chocolate so you will be fine.

this cake looks so yum, i am a big fan of banana bread - little tip add half teaspoon of rum to mix and the cake will last for days!

Well dang. Wish I'd seen this before I made banana bread yesterday. RATS.

Hey kitchengoddess, the addition of rum sounds lovely, but honestly, banana bread never has the chance to last for more than a day or so around here.

This sounds good!

If you want to make your own toffee, it's really easy. Mix 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup slivered almonds, 1 T corn syrup, and 1 T water in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir and continue to cook until it's a shade darker than light brown suger (roughly 15 minutes should do it). Then pour it onto a cookie sheet and spread it to all the edges with the back of a wooden spoon. Stick it in the fridge to harden, and you're done! An easy solution if you don't want chocolate on your toffee for this recipe.

This sounds good!

If you want to make your own toffee, it's really easy. Mix 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup slivered almonds, 1 T corn syrup, and 1 T water in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir and continue to cook until it's a shade darker than light brown suger (roughly 15 minutes should do it). Then pour it onto a cookie sheet and spread it to all the edges with the back of a wooden spoon. Stick it in the fridge to harden, and you're done! An easy solution if you don't want chocolate on your toffee for this recipe.

This sounds great... Thanks!

I hope someone can answer this for me... soon!.. I REALLY want to make this bread tonight, but my only bread pan is at a friends house. Is there ANY way i can make this in my bread machine???

Like Katie said, other pans would work just fine. How about muffin pans and make banana muffins? You'll just have to adjust the baking time accordingly.

LOL OH DEAR:ohmy:........ I just realized i forgot to add the EGGS and VANILLA to my bread!!! I ran to the oven to see if i could take it out real quick and add it, but it's already been in there 20 min. and is already browning on the sides.... DARNIT!!! I must be more tired than i thought...:ermm:

Is this going to taste awful now?...:(

LOL OH DEAR:ohmy:........ I just realized i forgot to add the EGGS and VANILLA to my bread!!! I ran to the oven to see if i could take it out real quick and add it, but it's already been in there 20 min. and is already browning on the sides.... DARNIT!!! I must be more tired than i thought...:ermm:

Is this going to taste awful now?...:(

I think you could live without the vanilla but the eggs I don't know about. It will change the texture. Let it cool and see how it tastes.

I feel for you...I have days like that also.

Back
Top Bottom