"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
For Goodweed- Cornmeal Recipes

Here are the recipes I promised you! They are various types of cornbreads & I haven't tried them all. I'll put an * by the ones I have tried though!

*Country-Style Cornbread

2C self-rising corn meal
1 3/4C buttermilk
1/4C vegetable oil or melted shortening

Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet or baking pan & place in oven to heat. Combine ingredients in mixing bowl; stir just until smooth.(Batter should be creamy & pourable. If too thick, add a little more liquid.) Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Sausage Cornbake

1 egg
1 1/2C milk
1/4C vegetable oil or melted shortening
2C self-rising corn meal
1tsp sugar
1/2lb(8 ounces)sausage, browned & crumbled

Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet & place in oven to heat. Beat egg in mixing bowl. Add milk, oil, corn meal, & sugar; stir until smooth. Add sausage; mix well. Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. This cornbread should be baked thin & quite brown. Makes 6-8 servings.

Corn Dodgers

3C self-rising corn meal
2 1/4C boiling water
3Tbsp vegetable oil or melted shortening, divided

Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Gradually stir boiling water into corn meal. Add 2Tbsp oil & blend throughly. Dip hands into cool water. Shape 2 inch balls of corn meal mixture into oblong pones, about 3x2 inches.(Dip hands in cool water before shaping each pone.)Place pones in skillet with sides lightly touching. Brush tops with remaining oil. Bake 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 10 dodgers.

*Sweet Milk Corn Cakes

1 egg
3/4C milk
1Tbsp vegetable oil or melted shortening
1C self-rising corn meal
1/2tsp sugar

Preheat a lightly greased skillet or griddle on medium heat. Beat egg in mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients; stir until smooth. Pour batter onto hot skillet; 1/4C batter makes a nice size corn cake. Brown on one side; turn & brown on other side. For thinner cakes, add a little more milk. Makes 6 corn cakes.

NOTE: These are good topped with barbecue or may be buttered & served with any meal.

These are all from Martha White's Southern Sampler.

I'll have some more to add in a little while. I need to go check on my son, he's in bed sick this morning & I need to see if he's getting any better or worse so I can plan my day.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef

http://www.deltablues.net/cbread.html

Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

http://www.marthawhite.com/recipes/r...gory=cornbread
Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
cornbread recipes
Old 01-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Master Chef

I think Goodweed's daughter is going to have a lot of recipes to choose from!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Old 01-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

MJ - lol - your lil dancing guy's making me dizzy!

Here's a yeasted cornbread that's really good - chewy and crunchy!

YEASTED CORNMEAL BREAD

½ cup cornmeal
1 cup boiling water
1T sugar
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1tsp. salt
½ cup warm water
4-4 ½ cups flour
1pkg.yeast

Pour cornmeal into boiling water with salt and stir vigorously for 4 minutes, til thickened. Place in a large mixing bowl and cool. Proof yeast with water and sugar, then pour into bowl with cornmeal and mix well. Add warm milk, salt, brown sugar, and flour, 1 cup at a time; stir well after each addition. Turn out on board and knead til elastic, about 10-12 minutes. Place dough in buttered bowl, let rise til double.
Punch down and cut in half, make two round or oval loaves, place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, and rest. Cover and let rise til double. Preheat oven to 425; bake for 10 minute, then turn oven down to 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Re: For Goodweed- Cornmeal Recipes

[quote="crewsk"]Here are the recipes I promised you! They are various types of cornbreads & I haven't tried them all. I'll put an * by the ones I have tried though!]

Crewsk,
I noticed none of the recipes you posted had any flour listed.

Does the Self Rising Corn Meal contain flour?

I'm alwaya on the look out for "wheat free" recipes as a very good friend of mine is allergic to any thing wheat.

She loves my pinto beans with ham hocks and I always serve then with corn bread. She has to sit there and eat her Spelt bread.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 01-31-2005, 07:25 AM   #9
Master Chef

Hungry, I'm not sure. I'll have to check on that for you & let you know.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Cornmeal Madeleines

Ingredients:

Evans Caglage / DMN
¾ cup white cornmeal
¾ cup all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting pans
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Pinch of kosher salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon (yellow part only)
4 large eggs
¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour 2 madeleine pans. (Note: If you don't have madeleine pans, chef Stitt says cornbread muffin tins will work.)

Sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars together on high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the lemon zest and mix to incorporate. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the bowl frequently.

Combine the milk and vanilla. On low speed, add the flour and milk mixtures alternately, starting and ending with flour, beating until incorporated. Continue mixing until no lumps or flecks of butter remain.

Spoon batter into prepared molds, filling each mold a little more than half full. Bake until golden brown around the edges, 18 to 20 minutes. (The more the butter browns, the tastier the madeleines.)

Immediately invert the pan onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and gently tap to release the madeleines from the pans. Let cool. Dust with powdered sugar, if you like. Makes 24 madeleines.