Goodweed's Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. So as I'm now Chief Longwind, and Dad to a whole host of new family, you all get to call me by my Native American Name, an acronym that accurately describes me.

Noble
Amazing
Chef (of teepee)
Exciting
Powerful
Iconic
Wise
Darned Good Looking
Smells Good

I give you my new Native American name - NACEPIWiDaGoLSG

Let's see you pronounce that one. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; NACEPIWiDaGoLSG (Goodweed of the North)

I think I'll just call you Inkosi !

Pancakes were big in our house growing up for breakfast and also as a "day before payday" dinner. My grandmother always used a cut raw apple or carrot dipped in melted bacon fat to grease the pan before pouring each pancake. I have never seen this mentioned in any old cookbooks and I wonder if any of you DCers are familiar with the practice. I usually use a folded paper towel but about once a year I use an apple. It does provide a faint hint of flavor and freshness along with a fond memory.

I am intrigued about this practice. Just one piece of apple? What was the point of that? Why substitute with a paper towel? View attachment 12229

Last edited:
I am intrigued about this practice. Just one piece of apple? What was the point of that? Why substitute with a paper towel? View attachment 12229

The half apple or carrot were just to spread a thin layer of new grease before pouring the batter for each new pancake. I am not sure why it was used but, it did give a hint of fresh flavor and it kept the pancakes from sticking. I use the paper towel for the same reason, to apply a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking. If I don't do this the pancakes begin to stick even though the pan I use is well seasoned.

The half apple or carrot were just to spread a thin layer of new grease before pouring the batter for each new pancake. I am not sure why it was used but, it did give a hint of fresh flavor and it kept the pancakes from sticking. I use the paper towel for the same reason, to apply a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking. If I don't do this the pancakes begin to stick even though the pan I use is well seasoned.

Thank you. Along with this explanation and me rereading your other post, I understand now. :rolleyes:

i made some of your deservedly famous pancakes today, gw. i had no blueberries today, but added a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon to my batter. that was some goood eating. my mom, who usually eats like a bird, put away 3 1/2 pancakes today, instead of her usual one. thanks, gw.... :)

i made some of your deservedly famous pancakes today, gw. i had no blueberries today, but added a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon to my batter. that was some goood eating. my mom, who usually eats like a bird, put away 3 1/2 pancakes today, instead of her usual one. thanks, gw.... :)

Thanks Vitauta. I hope they bring much joy and good eating to your table. And always remember, a good recipe is only a starting point. Add things to the batter, such as M&M's Peanuts, various fruit chunks, spices, etc.

I once made waffles out of Libby's pumpking pie filling, as per the recipe on the can. There was left over filling, so I added flour and baking powder. The waffles were amazing. Be creative. Once you understand the basics of what each ingredient does, it really opens up new applications for the cook.

If you've never made waffles from a yeast-raised batter, you don't know what you're missing. You've got to try it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom