Goodweed's Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
OK, I had to think about this one as various members of my family have favorites of my many creations. But all of them said that my signature dish has to be my pancake recipe, known by many as G.W's World Famous Pancakes. I'm not kidding.

First, I'll give you the original recipe, followed by variations on the pancake theme. Each of these recipes are good enough so that you can proudly serve them to anyone, at any meal. Enjoy.:chef:

Bob Flowers' Original - World Famous Pancakes
You will need two bowls and a non-stick griddle for this recipe as the wet and dry ingredients are made separately, and then combined. And start pre-heating the griddle after setting up your mis-en-place as it doesn't take long to make the batter. And the pancakes are at their absolute best when cooked immediately and served fresh from the griddle.:mrgreen:

Ingredients:
Dry: Whisk together the following:
*1 cup all purpose flour
*1/2 tsp. salt
*2 tbs. sugar, or sucralose (if you want to use honey, please add to the wet ingredients)
*2 1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder

In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients:
*1 large egg
*3 tbs. cooking oil
*3/4 cup milk

Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk until the batter is just formed. Small lumps are ok and show that haven't over mixed the batter.

Rub a bit of butter on the hot griddle. Place three tbs. of batter on the griddle for each pancake. Cook as many as you can safely flip without place one on top of the others. Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to form and pop on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite pancake topping.

Blueberry Pancakes

These are the absolute king of pancakes as far as I'm concerned. But others have other variations that they love. What makes these special is that I use only Michigan upper Peninsula wild blueberries that I and my family members have picked to make these. If you those blueberries aren't available to you, then use the best blueberries you can find.

Ingredients:
*1 cup all purpose flour
*1/2 tsp. salt
*2 tbs. sugar, or sucralose (if you want to use honey, please add to the wet ingredients)

*1 large egg
*3 tbs. cooking oil
*3/4 cup milk

Special Ingredients:
1 cup cleaned Wild Blueberries or Hucklberries

Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk until the batter is just formed. Small lumps are ok and show that haven't over mixed the batter. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.

Rub a bit of butter on the hot griddle. Place three tbs. of batter on the griddle for each pancake. Cook as many as you can safely flip without place one on top of the others. Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to form and pop on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite pancake topping.

Buckwheat Pancakes:
Whenever u\you add another type of flour to what flour, you should do it in the ration of 2/3 wheat flour, 1/3 other flour. This maintains sufficient gluten in the batter to give a light and airy texture.

Ingredients:
*2/3 cup all purpose flour
*1/3 cup Buckweat flour
*1/2 tsp. salt

*1 large egg
*3 tbs. cooking oil
*3/4 cup milk

Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk until the batter is just formed. Small lumps are ok and show that haven't over mixed the batter. Rub a bit of butter on the hot griddle. Place three tbs. of batter on the griddle for each pancake. Cook as many as you can safely flip without place one on top of the others. Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to form and pop on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite pancake topping.
Tip: Buckwheat honey is fabulous on pancakes of any kind.

Whole Wheat Pancakes
These are every bit as light, tender, and moist as are the original recipe pancakes, but with the more robust flavor and nutrition of whole wheat. I eat these more often as they are better for my blood sugar, and I enjoy the flavor of Whole Wheat. My DW, well she prefers the original, with blueberries of coarse. Oh, and whole wheat can be substituted in the above listed recipes as well.

Ingredients:
*1 cup whole wheat flour
*1/2 tsp. salt

*1 large egg
*3 tbs. cooking oil
*3/4 cup milk

Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk until the batter is just formed. Small lumps are ok and show that haven't over mixed the batter. Rub a bit of butter on the hot griddle. Place three tbs. of batter on the griddle for each pancake. Cook as many as you can safely flip without place one on top of the others. Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to form and pop on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite pancake topping.

Dutch Babies
Why these are called Dutch Babies, I have no idea. But they are. I didn't create this recipe, as I did the above ones, but I love it, and the recipe is tweaked a bit.
Ingredients:
*4 tbs. butter
*3 eggs
*3/4 cup flour
*1/2 tsp. salt

*3/4 cup milk
*1 tsp. vanilla extract

Put 4 oz butter into a ten inch cast iron pan and put it in a 425 degree oven.
While the butter melts, whisk together the eggs until smooth. Add milk and then flour and whisk together until the batter is lump free.

When the butter is melted and starting to brown, remove the pan from the oven and pour in the batter. Place the pan back into the oven and
bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately place onto a plate. Fill freshly slice fruits such as strawberries, or peaches and dust with powdered sugar. Serve.

You can also fill with fruit pie filling if you desire, or even with savory ingredients.

Ok, so there's a sampling of some of my favorite pancake recipes. I could go on with sourdough pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, pancakes with M&Ms' added, or peanuts, or whole kernal corn, etc.

Tip number 2: Pork fat has less cholesterol in it than does butter. So if you love the flavor of bacon, or sausage, you can spoon hot bacon or sausage grease over your pancakes to infuse them with that flavor. You can also add vanilla to any of the above recipes, or spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, etc.

And whenever you serve my original World Famous Pancakes, you should walk into the room with the pancake platter while everyone is singing;

"Pancakes are deliscious, Pancakes are so fine. I oughtta know, 'cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time." Lyrics- courtesy of my fondly remembered Grandpa Flowers.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Can I adopt you as my grandpa? FYI, I have made your pancakes and they are awesome. They earned a spot in my recipe box :)

That depends. How old are you. Am I old enough to be your Grandpa? My eldest daughter is over thirty, while my youngest is 23. I might be just the right age to be your adopted 2nd Dad, or just plain good friend.

Yeah I know you're probably a more appropriate age to be my adopted 2nd dad (I'm 30) but I do miss my grandpa and I want someone to sing me that song while serving me pancakes!

Pancakes were big in our house growing up for breakfast and also as a "day before payday" dinner. My grandmother always used a cut raw apple or carrot dipped in melted bacon fat to grease the pan before pouring each pancake. I have never seen this mentioned in any old cookbooks and I wonder if any of you DCers are familiar with the practice. I usually use a folded paper towel but about once a year I use an apple. It does provide a faint hint of flavor and freshness along with a fond memory.

Pancakes were big in our house growing up for breakfast and also as a "day before payday" dinner. My grandmother always used a cut raw apple or carrot dipped in melted bacon fat to grease the pan before pouring each pancake. I have never seen this mentioned in any old cookbooks and I wonder if any of you DCers are familiar with the practice. I usually use a folded paper towel but about once a year I use an apple. It does provide a faint hint of flavor and freshness along with a fond memory.

Great story. I will have to try that.:)

buckytom said:
get in line, bub! :glare:

I think his existing grandchildren (the two grandaughters at least, the grandson is still pretty new) would probably fight you on that. They may only be 3 and 2 (almost), but they are feisty little girls and they love their grandpa. And they've both developed quite a fierce growl.

That depends. How old are you. Am I old enough to be your Grandpa? My eldest daughter is over thirty, while my youngest is 23. I might be just the right age to be your adopted 2nd Dad, or just plain good friend.

Since you're so "easy" when it comes to adoption Chief, may I say Hi Dad ! :LOL:
You'll like me I play nicely with your children :P

I was told my grandmother did that (mom's mother) but sadly, I never knew her. sounds like a great idea that I'll have to try.

hey, snip gets to be a sister, but i have to fight for a spot at the kids table???

what gives?
:huh:

buckytom said:
hey, snip gets to be a sister, but i have to fight for a spot at the kids table???

what gives?
:huh:

If you want to be a brother instead of a, errrm, nephew? I guess? That would be an easier spot to get. Sprout and I don't have a brother on the forum yet and, not being toddlers, have better developed sharing skills than GW's grandchildren.

you underestimate them. they are, afterall, descendants of the great long winded one. it's scary... ;)

ok, bro it is. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom