"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
Gooey Cornbread

I went looking for this other recipe that I posted ages ago. Worth bringing up again.
--Mud

This is good to eat when the weather starts getting cooler.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 cups finelychoped yellow onion
8 oz sour cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz can cream style corn
1/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco

Place oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while heating to 375.

In another skillet, melt butter and soften the onions. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir to combine and set aside again.

In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, eggs, corn, milk, and hot sauce. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine. Spoon batter back into skillet and smooth the top.

Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the batter (seems to work better using an offset spatula). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and do the toothpick thing. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.

__________________

__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Wow does that sound good! I'm definitely copying and pasting. Here it is YOUR birthday and I'm getting a gift from you :)
__________________

__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
not your mom's cornbread, but real good anyway, snickerdoodle.
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
I'm making this tonight to have with our chili. Yummmm!!! I'm sure I'll return here with rave reviews... possibly a picture too! I don't have a cast iron skillet though... I'll need to work around that somehow.
__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,793
I don't know if I can find self rising corn-meal. Can I use regular cornmeal and add baking powder?
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
I dunno, Rocklobster. probably. someone around here will be able to give you some guidance.
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Why not just grab a box of Jiffy mix cornbread and start from there? It's already measured and mixed dry ingredients.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Why not just grab a box of Jiffy mix cornbread and start from there? It's already measured and mixed dry ingredients.
You know, I found the self rising cornmeal but didn't want to pay $4 for the bag, unsure of when I would use it again. So, I bought a box of Jiffy mix and added creamed corn and shredded cheese. They were good but I was missing the sour cream so I'll try to add that next time.

Rocklobster, I did find a website that said adding baking powder to cornmeal would be a good subsitute for self rising cornmeal. Not sure what proportions though.

I still really want to try this recipe as-is so I'll keep you posted on when I do that.
__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
You know, I found the self rising cornmeal but didn't want to pay $4 for the bag, unsure of when I would use it again. So, I bought a box of Jiffy mix and added creamed corn and shredded cheese. They were good but I was missing the sour cream so I'll try to add that next time.

Rocklobster, I did find a website that said adding baking powder to cornmeal would be a good subsitute for self rising cornmeal. Not sure what proportions though.

I still really want to try this recipe as-is so I'll keep you posted on when I do that.
Thanks. When flying by the seat of my pants, I usually go by about 1 tsp baking powder per 1 cup of flour.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I went looking for this other recipe that I posted ages ago. Worth bringing up again.
--Mud

This is good to eat when the weather starts getting cooler.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 cups finelychoped yellow onion
8 oz sour cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz can cream style corn
1/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco

Place oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while heating to 375.

In another skillet, melt butter and soften the onions. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir to combine and set aside again.

In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, eggs, corn, milk, and hot sauce. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine. Spoon batter back into skillet and smooth the top.

Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the batter (seems to work better using an offset spatula). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and do the toothpick thing. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
That sounds delicious!
__________________

__________________
mkaylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.