"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Healthier quick breads?

So I've recently started doing a few quick breads and they are great! But the recipie book I have a pretty old and seems to use quite a bit of butter and sugar. I was wondering what steps I can take to enjoy more of these treats without so much of the unhealthy stuff. Or maybe should I look for one of those cheap healthy treat cookbooks?
I know baking is all about the proportions, and I do intend to experiment with these a little, but maybe someone has advice/knowledge that could be useful.
Can I substitute some olive oil for part of the butter?
Can I add more fruit (like bananas or applesauce) and less sugar?

I know I can change the amount of flour and whole wheat flour, but the sugar and butter are my main concerns. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Cook

In foods class at school we made an awesome little biscuit quickbread that doesn't use any sugar at all I don't think and it also uses shortening instead of butter. Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but they do taste awesome with some jam or brown sugar on them. If you want I can get you the recipe when I go to school on Monday...

Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Everymom

Emz, no sugar? I'm interested, can you post it when you get it please?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

You can almost always use Splenda instead of sugar in baking. Splenda also makes brown sugar.
Some recipes call for using applesauce instead of most of the shortening. You can substitute Egg Beaters for the eggs, as well.