Help! Need cornbread recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmisme

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have the cornbread recipe from the box/bag of Albers Cornmeal? It's my favorite and they've stopped printing it. I've found recipes claiming to be the "authentic" Albers recipe, but turned out not to be so. Please, please, does anyone have it? Much thanks in advance!

I hunted around for Albers Cornbread recipe with no luck.

I always thought cornbread was just a kind of loosely measured amounts of about half flour and half cornmeal, with a little salt, sugar, baking powder and some sort of shortening, and milk or water added. Maybe not.

Best corn bread I've ever had BW made from our home grown sweet corn (Golden Bantam), which we ground to meal in our blender. Boy, that was gooD!

Good luck on your earch, emm, and welcome to discuss cooking.

Thanks for the welcome oldcoot! I've done some further research and found the Albers recipe on the Nestle's website. I guess they're the parent company of Albers. I'm trying the recipe this morning to see if it really is "the one".

Emm, glad you may have been successful. If it is the Albers recipe, I, for one, would be interested in what there is about it that makes it particualrly good. How about posting it for us?

Cornbread
from www.verybestbaking.com

1 cup Albers yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine and mix well wet ingredients in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients just until blended. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

This is NOT the original recipe from the box as some reviewers claim on the website. I know this because I used to add an extra egg and this batter came out too thin to allow for more egg. I did add 2 tablespoons more sugar since I like it on the sweet side. The final result is a sweet but not too sweet, cakey rather than crumbly cornbread, very close to what I was looking for. I'm sure it doesn't beat your cornbread with freshly ground cornmeal oldcoot, it must have been delicious! A word to the wise... if you find a recipe you like from "the back of the box", cut it out and save it because you never know when the company will stop printing it.

Emm, get ready for a real laugh!

I copied the recipe you posted and took it in to BW to find how it compared with the recipe she has used for years. Her response: "Oh, I just use the recipe on the box."

So she reached in the cupboard and grabbed the box of....ALBERS CORN MEAL!!

And right there on the side was the recipe - very different from what you posted..

The silliest part is that I use corn meal under my bread loaves all the time, and never noticed it was Albers. See how observant I am?

Here's your recipe, right off the box, guaranteed!

ALBERS SWEET CORN MUFFIN RECIPE

(may be used for corn bread)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Albers yellow or white corn meal
1 Tbsp Baking powder
2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 cups Milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup Vegetable oil
3 Tbsp Butter or margarine, melted

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 8" square bakin pan
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until just blended.

Pour batter into greased pan and bake approx. 35 minutes. (test with wooden pick)

Lest there be any doubt:

ALBERS.JPG

oldcoot - You're a sweetheart for doing this followup, picture and all! Hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't the recipe Albers used to print on their box. It was definitely titled Cornbread, and unfortunately the only measurement I remember for sure is that the sugar was 1/4 cup. All this grief for such a simple recipe! I think I was a Southerner in a past life because I've heard that Southerners take their cornbread seriously, as do I. Thanks for all your help... and the laugh!

Boy, you're picky, Emm! :) You said the recipe you wanted was sweeter than most - the one on the box is. You said you recalled 2 eggs - the one on the box requires two eggs. Geeeeeeez!

My last suggestion on the subject is for you to contact Albers (address is on the box!) and ask them. I have no doubt they have that recipe in their archives.

Shoould that prove successful, let us know.

Albers cornbread

Emm...
My wife had the same problem, so she called Nestles and they gave her the recipe:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar (may add more)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1 lge egg, lightly beaten

Bake 20-25 min. at 400 deg. in 8" square dish

Enjoy!

Gordo

real southern albers recipie

off of the OLD box, labled as SOUTHERN cornbread

Dry ingredients

1 3/4 cup white cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Wet ingredients

2 cups buttermilk
1 egg

Melt 3 Tablespoons shortening in your old cast iron skillet, at 450 degrees, when oven up to temp pour mixture into hot skillet with the melted shortening, bake for 20 min, if top not brown, turn on broiler to brown

this is SOUTHERN cornbread, not the northern johnnycake, (or journey cake) with flour and sugar(yuck)

Max

Albers Corn Bread

I see one difference between your recipe, gordo, and the one I'm looking at on the Albers box; It says 1/4 cup sugar.

Thanks, Scooter. My wife says that's what she remembers using.
Gordo

Back
Top Bottom