"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Head Chef
Also, you may want to bake them initially at a higher heat - 425 F is recommended, and as soon as you put the muffins in the oven, you can lower the heat to whatever the suggested baking temperature is.

From cheftochef.com:
"In order to get the traditional dome shape, preheat the oven to 425F. (even though the recipe may say to use 350 or 375F). As soon as you put the muffin batter in the oven, reduce the heat to what the recipe calls for. The initial high heat will cause the batter to have a rapid rise during the first few minutes of baking. This results in a high domed muffin."

"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Head Chef
Here's the original Morning Glory Muffin Recipe from the Earthbound Farm website:

The Original Morning Glory Muffins Serves 16 muffins

Earthbound Farm's culinary consultant, Chef Pam McKinstry, created these muffins in 1978 for her eponymous restaurant on Nantucket Island. The recipe was first published in Gourmet Magazine in 1981, and in 1991 it was chosen as one of the magazine's 25 favorite recipes from the past 50 years.
These muffins have a great shelf life and actually taste better a day after baking, when the flavors have melded. Store them at room temperature, covered, for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 2 months.

1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
1 large organic apple, peeled and grated
1 cup (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Sift or whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add the coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots, and nuts, and stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and blend well.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins lined with muffin cups, filling each to the brim. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.

Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Crusting tops

Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thanks I will try it.

I only grease bottom of loaf pan when baking bread when I want a nice crown, as well.
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Maybe they are too big? I find that when I make muffins at home if they are huge, they spread a little more than the smaller ones. On a side note, I prefer smaller muffins.
Happy Cooking!!

betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Do you squeeze any liquid/juice out of the crushed pineapple before adding it? Could the extra liquid affect the batter?
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
The blueberry muffins & lemon poppyseed mufins are large also & they crown nicely. I spray the bottom & sides of those muffin tins too.
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
We thought of that & tried it but it did'nt make a difference. Thanks for the input.

simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote