Help with muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonbaker

Chef Extraordinaire
:rolleyes:My husband & I own a small cafe,, We make a jumbo morning glory muffin filled with nuts, craisins & dried fruits. When they come out of the oven they are flat on top. Any suggestions?

Looking for a good morning glory, jumbo muffin recipie

We have not had any problems with the baking soda. We go through alot of product with cookies, muffins, scones & other bakery products, Just can't seem to get the morning glory muffins right. Any good recipies?

Your oven must be very hot before you put the muffins in. The pre-heating is crucial to muffins that crown. Put the muffins in the hot oven and then turn the heat down to recipe specs.

Last edited:
What's the one you're using? It will be easier to figure out what could have gone wrong.

Your oven must be very hot before you put the muffins in. The pre-heating is crucial to muffins that crown. Put the muffins in the hot oven and then turn the heat down to recipe specs.
Thanks, we've tried that. We always make sure that the oven has been pre-heated at least 30-45 minutes before baking.

After I had the whole thing typed I pressed a wrong key & deleted it all. Here it goes again:
16 eggs
2 qts. each of; white sugar, brown sugar, milk & salad oil.
10.5 Table. baking powder.
2 Tb. salt
40 cups flour.
We have a large Hobart mixer. Mix together then add 75 oz. crushed pineapple, mixed nuts & craisins.

When I prepare the giant muffins, I only grease the bottom of the tin. Not the sides. The crown is beautiful.

Also, you may want to bake them initially at a higher heat - 425 F is recommended, and as soon as you put the muffins in the oven, you can lower the heat to whatever the suggested baking temperature is.

From cheftochef.com:
"In order to get the traditional dome shape, preheat the oven to 425F. (even though the recipe may say to use 350 or 375F). As soon as you put the muffin batter in the oven, reduce the heat to what the recipe calls for. The initial high heat will cause the batter to have a rapid rise during the first few minutes of baking. This results in a high domed muffin."

Here's the original Morning Glory Muffin Recipe from the Earthbound Farm website:

icon_dish.jpg
The Original Morning Glory Muffins Serves 16 muffins

Earthbound Farm's culinary consultant, Chef Pam McKinstry, created these muffins in 1978 for her eponymous restaurant on Nantucket Island. The recipe was first published in Gourmet Magazine in 1981, and in 1991 it was chosen as one of the magazine's 25 favorite recipes from the past 50 years.
These muffins have a great shelf life and actually taste better a day after baking, when the flavors have melded. Store them at room temperature, covered, for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 2 months.

ingredients.gif

1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
1 large organic apple, peeled and grated
1 cup (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

directions.gif

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Sift or whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add the coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots, and nuts, and stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and blend well.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins lined with muffin cups, filling each to the brim. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.

Maybe they are too big? I find that when I make muffins at home if they are huge, they spread a little more than the smaller ones. On a side note, I prefer smaller muffins.

The blueberry muffins & lemon poppyseed mufins are large also & they crown nicely. I spray the bottom & sides of those muffin tins too.

We thought of that & tried it but it did'nt make a difference. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom