Hitting the Sugar Wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I want sausage bread!! I may just buy a tube of Pillsbury pizza dough instead of homemade dough. It's not to bad in a pinch. Or Trader Joe's pizza dough.

One of the artisan bakeries here puts out pizza dough daily, $2.49...and worth it. Le Petit Outre, they have the best breads, Kalamata Olive Rolls...yum!

One of the artisan bakeries here puts out pizza dough daily, $2.49...and worth it. Le Petit Outre, they have the best breads, Kalamata Olive Rolls...yum!
Oh Stop!! You're killing me!! LOL I need to think about Xmas eve and day prep not sausage bread!! LOL Maybe for New Years or the week leading up to.

Oh Stop!! You're killing me!! LOL I need to think about Xmas eve and day prep not sausage bread!! LOL Maybe for New Years or the week leading up to.

Christmas Eve....Christmas Eve....get your Christmas Eve Baking done!:LOL:

I never made drop biscuits. Any TnT scratch recipes for drop biscuits. I don't buy Bisquik.

BTW I don't roll and cut biscuits because after the first roll and the more they are handled the tougher they get. I just push the dough into a rectangle and cut rectangle biscuits they taste the same but tender. One cutting with the bench scraper, no dirty cutters or rolling pin!

Here's my TNT garlic cheese biscuit recipe.

You can substitute all purpose flour for the hard and soft whole grain wheat.

You can just use regular butter instead of garlic butter and leave out the cheese.

Attachments

• Garlic Cheese Biscuits.pdf
    40.4 KB · Views: 53
I never made drop biscuits. Any TnT scratch recipes for drop biscuits. I don't buy Bisquik.

BTW I don't roll and cut biscuits because after the first roll and the more they are handled the tougher they get. I just push the dough into a rectangle and cut rectangle biscuits they taste the same but tender. One cutting with the bench scraper, no dirty cutters or rolling pin!

what a clever tip for cutting biscuits. i don't make drip biscuits, because i think they can to hard when baking, all those bumps . :LOL:

what a clever tip for cutting biscuits. i don't make drip biscuits, because i think they can to hard when baking, all those bumps . :LOL:

Yup, those bumps can be hard. That's why I switched to "rolled" biscuits. I cut rectangles too. I think they are actually less work ;)

Decided I'm going to do some pastrami and swiss biscuits in the morning. That'll be a good eye-opener with a little dijon.

I would think it will be to crumbly with biscuit dough. But I would be very interested in hearing how it turns out.

BTW I used Italian sweet fennel sausage. My aunt uses a combo of 2/3 sweet and 1/3 hot Italian sausage.

It is a bit crumbly, but not excessively so. The problem is that the dough is thicker, so the ratio of yum to bread isn't as high as in yours. We had to put butter on it :LOL:

I won't be doing it again that way, but what's left will make a decent snack.

BTW, I cut half of it into slices before baking. The slices baked quicker and are a bit less crumbly, but the loaf seems to have more flavour.

It is a bit crumbly, but not excessively so. The problem is that the dough is thicker, so the ratio of yum to bread isn't as high as in yours. We had to put butter on it :LOL:

I won't be doing it again that way, but what's left will make a decent snack.

BTW, I cut half of it into slices before baking. The slices baked quicker and are a bit less crumbly, but the loaf seems to have more flavour.
Try using Pillsbury pizza dough. it comes in the tube and is already in the shape of a large rectangle very easy to use. It makes a large jelly roll pan pizza so it is perfect for the sausage bread. Easy to work with.

Try using Pillsbury pizza dough. it comes in the tube and is already in the shape of a large rectangle very easy to use. It makes a large jelly roll pan pizza so it is perfect for the sausage bread. Easy to work with.

That might work for Princess Fiona. I don't buy stuff like that.

Now that would work for me. I have a tiny kitchen, and have no desire to clean up spilt flour. I'd love to have a super-duper kitchen.

I want the available products to save me time, mess and storage.

For instance. I LOVE BISCUITS. I love the flavor of Biscuick. I mean, it's nice to have a package of biscuits out of a tube, but the taste like metal. YUUUUK.

So, I think it is nice to have a box of Bisquick or Jiffy Biscuit Mix on hand so I can make a batch when I want it.

Have you ever tried strawberry shortcake with the Bisquick type shortbread right from the oven? With fresh strawberries, and real whipped cream?

Now that would work for me. I have a tiny kitchen, and have no desire to clean up spilt flour. I'd love to have a super-duper kitchen.

I want the available products to save me time, mess and storage.

For instance. I LOVE BISCUITS. I love the flavor of Biscuick. I mean, it's nice to have a package of biscuits out of a tube, but the taste like metal. YUUUUK.

So, I think it is nice to have a box of Bisquick or Jiffy Biscuit Mix on hand so I can make a batch when I want it.

Have you ever tried strawberry shortcake with the Bisquick type shortbread right from the oven? With fresh strawberries, and real whipped cream?

When I took home ec, the taught us to make our own "Bisquick".

That might work for Princess Fiona. I don't buy stuff like that.

Nope, I don't buy that either. I just make my own or get the fresh made from the bakery.

My herbed french bread was great, a little crusty...next time, I'm going to make small rolls and dip them in garlic butter and parmesan, then stack them in a tube pan.

The blueberry scones I made are just right in sugar content, not too sweet at all. I'll be making them once a week for a treat.

I goofed off too much last night, I never did get the shortbread cookies done. So scones and lemon curd for dessert.:pig:

I usually make homemade but EVERYONE cheats once in awhile!!

Seriously I ALWAYS make homemade dough when I make sausage bread. I do buy pre-made dough from the pizza place or Trader Joe's once in awhile to make pizza when my bursitis is acting up. I tried the Pillsbury a few weeks ago because it was on sale and I had a coupon. It wasn't to bad.

Seriously I ALWAYS make homemade dough when I make sausage bread. I do buy pre-made dough from the pizza place or Trader Joe's once in awhile to make pizza when my bursitis is acting up. I tried the Pillsbury a few weeks ago because it was on sale and I had a coupon. It wasn't to bad.

I am more than happy to "cheat". But, I don't want a bunch of weird chemicals and I want whole grain and no white flour. Unfortunately, that makes "cheating" harder and when possible, expensive.

I've been cheating more and more, buying the bakery dough. It's worth it to me as a time saver and an arm saver! I'm considering some of the bread mixes at King Arthur Flour, they are fairly fast as a time saver and I'm using the Mixer more and more to knead my doughs. But, at times I do miss getting my hands into my food!

Back
Top Bottom