"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 12-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It is a bit crumbly, but not excessively so. The problem is that the dough is thicker, so the ratio of yum to bread isn't as high as in yours. We had to put butter on it

I won't be doing it again that way, but what's left will make a decent snack.

BTW, I cut half of it into slices before baking. The slices baked quicker and are a bit less crumbly, but the loaf seems to have more flavour.
Try using Pillsbury pizza dough. it comes in the tube and is already in the shape of a large rectangle very easy to use. It makes a large jelly roll pan pizza so it is perfect for the sausage bread. Easy to work with.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Try using Pillsbury pizza dough. it comes in the tube and is already in the shape of a large rectangle very easy to use. It makes a large jelly roll pan pizza so it is perfect for the sausage bread. Easy to work with.
That might work for Princess Fiona. I don't buy stuff like that.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Now that would work for me. I have a tiny kitchen, and have no desire to clean up spilt flour. I'd love to have a super-duper kitchen.

I want the available products to save me time, mess and storage.

For instance. I LOVE BISCUITS. I love the flavor of Biscuick. I mean, it's nice to have a package of biscuits out of a tube, but the taste like metal. YUUUUK.

So, I think it is nice to have a box of Bisquick or Jiffy Biscuit Mix on hand so I can make a batch when I want it.

Have you ever tried strawberry shortcake with the Bisquick type shortbread right from the oven? With fresh strawberries, and real whipped cream?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Now that would work for me. I have a tiny kitchen, and have no desire to clean up spilt flour. I'd love to have a super-duper kitchen.

I want the available products to save me time, mess and storage.

For instance. I LOVE BISCUITS. I love the flavor of Biscuick. I mean, it's nice to have a package of biscuits out of a tube, but the taste like metal. YUUUUK.

So, I think it is nice to have a box of Bisquick or Jiffy Biscuit Mix on hand so I can make a batch when I want it.

Have you ever tried strawberry shortcake with the Bisquick type shortbread right from the oven? With fresh strawberries, and real whipped cream?
When I took home ec, the taught us to make our own "Bisquick".
Old 12-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That might work for Princess Fiona. I don't buy stuff like that.
Nope, I don't buy that either. I just make my own or get the fresh made from the bakery.

My herbed french bread was great, a little crusty...next time, I'm going to make small rolls and dip them in garlic butter and parmesan, then stack them in a tube pan.

The blueberry scones I made are just right in sugar content, not too sweet at all. I'll be making them once a week for a treat.

I goofed off too much last night, I never did get the shortbread cookies done. So scones and lemon curd for dessert.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #56
Master Chef

I usually make homemade but EVERYONE cheats once in awhile!!

Seriously I ALWAYS make homemade dough when I make sausage bread. I do buy pre-made dough from the pizza place or Trader Joe's once in awhile to make pizza when my bursitis is acting up. I tried the Pillsbury a few weeks ago because it was on sale and I had a coupon. It wasn't to bad.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Seriously I ALWAYS make homemade dough when I make sausage bread. I do buy pre-made dough from the pizza place or Trader Joe's once in awhile to make pizza when my bursitis is acting up. I tried the Pillsbury a few weeks ago because it was on sale and I had a coupon. It wasn't to bad.
I am more than happy to "cheat". But, I don't want a bunch of weird chemicals and I want whole grain and no white flour. Unfortunately, that makes "cheating" harder and when possible, expensive.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

I've been cheating more and more, buying the bakery dough. It's worth it to me as a time saver and an arm saver! I'm considering some of the bread mixes at King Arthur Flour, they are fairly fast as a time saver and I'm using the Mixer more and more to knead my doughs. But, at times I do miss getting my hands into my food!