How can I make my cheese biscuits crunchy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgladden

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe for cheese biscuits hor doerves that come out more cake like than crunchy. I have bought some that are nice and crispy and would like to have mine turn out the same. The recipe is flour, butter, cheese and spices (tabasco, salt, and pepper). Any ideas??

Burn them! I did that the first year I had company - how embarassing, but they were crunchy!!!

Sorry - couldn't resist, but in all honesty, I can't see what is going wrong for you. They sound very good just as is - if someone else knows how to help, I'd appreciate it, too!! A good, loud, annoying timer took care of my burning problem...:rolleyes:

lol starrleicht - you beat me to it - that's the way I would have suggested and the way I would have done it!!! :D

pgladden - did the recipe call for buttering the top of the biscuits before putting them in the oven and did it call for putting them in the upper portion of the oven? Those would be my only two contributions to your delimma. And, I'm not even sure they are the right answers. Since I don't bake I'm in the dark too. Or, you might possibly try increasing the temperature about 10 degrees. Hotter oven equals crispier?

Anyone else care to take a stab at this?

lol starrleicht - you beat me to it - that's the way I would have suggested and the way I would have done it!!!

See how great minds think alike!!!! :D hehe...

The idea to up the temp is good - I have to do this with my Snickerdoodles so they stay soft inside but crispy outside - and it works like a charm - but don't forget to shorten the time and get a good, loud timer!!! ;)

If you're just looking for the top to get a bit crunchy, I know this works with muffins, but don't know about biscuits - I sprinkle the top with a little sugar - works for a crunchy top every time. But I'm not at all sure if this would even be feasible for biscuts...:confused:

Next!

starr - I have made the shortcake biscuits just to eat with butter! They are so good so I would be all for sweet biscuits - but am having second thoughts about sweet cheese biscuits :p

You might try baking them on a cookie sheet and spacing them a couple inches apart as well as increasing oven temp and baking them in top of oven.

Sounds like a great recipe, btw - how about posting it?;)

Cheese biscuit recipie

Here's the recipie for cheese biscuits (canapes) I use.

1 jar Old English Kraft cheese (You can only find this during
Christmas so the rest of the year I finely grate extra sharp
cheddar cheese.)
1/2 cup Crisco (or butter)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
Worcestershire sauce, tobasco and pepper to taste -- I li8ke mine very very hot !!

Mix until all ingredients are well blended. Put in a pastry press and squeeze out in what ever shapes you like.

Cook in 375 oven (or maybe even hotter) for 10 - 12 minutes or until browned on top.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Now that we have our electricity back I will give some of them a try (Love those ice storms :-0

Thanks for the recipe pg!!! I too am extremely glad to have power back!!! We were without it for 4 days, almost 5. After I lost all the food I really didn't care if it ever came back on. There's something extremely relaxing about candlelight and we seemed to go to bed earlier/get up earlier. We still had our gas fireplaces to keep warm by and we have gas hot water and a gas stove so we could take showers and eat. I scrambled to get everything done by dark BUT candles are expensive !!!!! LOL Only one cat let her tail get a little too close!! Burning cat hair stinks!!:D

I'm going to try these biscuits - they look great!

PG - My thanks also for the recipe - it looks great!! Think I'll make a batch in the morning, to have on hand for droppers-in.

btw - if you're still having trouble w/cake-like texture, crank that oven temp up to at least 425 or maybe even 450 (regular biscuit temps). Baking time will be somewhere around 10-12 minutes.

kitchenelf - sorry about your power loss! What a bummer. I agree on all counts re candlelight. Scorched kitty fur - phew! I can imagine. Brings to mind something Mark Twain said: "A cat who sits on a hot stove will never again sit on a hot stove. Neither will she ever sit on a cold one." Let us know how assiduously Kitty avoids all candles in future!!

Man - I have got so much to do I'm not doing anything. NOT a good state of affairs . . . :rolleyes:

Thanks to all that suggested ways to crisp up my cheese biscuits. I finally got a chance to make them again. They turned out a lot better cooking them at 425 degrees. The only thing is that I must have subliminally taken starrleicht's suggestion cause I burned up one batch :eek: That batch was VERY crispy. That's what I get for going into the living room to listen to the stereo while I'm cooking.

Oh well.... Happy New Years to all

Pada

Hehe..I've done that with a book, too. Now I got a timer that is REAL REAL loud and annoys the daylights out of me - that gets me moving!!

1/2 cup butter to 1 cup flour? Seems to me that high ratio of butter to flour would tend to ensure a soft texture unless very well done - almost burnt! But what do I know?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom