"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
is "T." table spoon?
When writing American standardized recipes, the capital t "T" always stands for Tablespoon, while the lower case t "t" always stands for teaspoon.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Here is a "health nut" version of a biscuit mix. If you do not want to use this recipe, it may give you some ideas anyway.......

8 cups whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat all purpose flour
5 T. baking powder
1 T. salt
1 to 2 cups dry milk powder (optional*)
1 1/2 cup oil or butter

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in the oil or butter to a fine texture. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.

To use:

For biscuits, use three cups mix to 2/3 cup milk or water, * depending on if you used dried milk in the mix.
how many buscuits will that make? how much of it would i need to use to get 1000 calories?

Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 AM   #13
Senior Cook

merton, yes, T is tablespoon; also t is teaspoon
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
how many buscuits will that make? how much of it would i need to use to get 1000 calories?
Merton, the entire 8 cup biscuit mix would be about 5085 calories (2640 cal for the whole wheat pastry flour and 2445 cal for the butter. A three cup batch of biscuits would be about 2000 calories ( 1906 cal for the mix and 100 cal for the 2/3 cup whole milk).

So, 1000 calories would be 1/2 of the 3 cup biscuit mix. Depends on how thin you roll the dough, but 1/2 inch thick dough would make about 18 biscuits, so 9 biscuits would be about 1000 calories.

In making this 3 cup biscuit mix, I would use 2/3 cup buttermilk in place of the whole milk, and add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to the dry mix. Whole grain products benefit from any bit of leavening power you can give them.

Any other questions?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

yeah... how do you find the calorie value of these things?

what's the caloric value of 12" cake of cornbread? (that's 2 eggs and 2 cups of cornmeal worth of cornbread... i'm not sure of the other ingreadients.)

how big a bowl is required to store the whole amount that recipe called for?

should i add eggs or butter to it? how many?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...what's the caloric value of 12" cake of cornbread? (that's 2 eggs and 2 cups of cornmeal worth of cornbread... i'm not sure of the other ingreadients.)

Depends on the rest of the recipe such as how much sugar! I make a sweet cornbread that's 3260 calories for the whole thing.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Constance,
Would it be possible to get some of your recipes?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
yeah... how do you find the calorie value of these things?

what's the caloric value of 12" cake of cornbread? (that's 2 eggs and 2 cups of cornmeal worth of cornbread... i'm not sure of the other ingreadients.)

should i add eggs or butter to it? how many?

Well, I looked on the side of the whole wheat pastry flour bag, and it said...serving size= 1/3 cup
and under "amount per serving" it said. calories 110, so I extrapolated it from there. As for the milk, I have an old nutrition textbook that has an appendix that gives the "nutritive values of the edible part of foods".

To find the caloric value of cornbread, you need to find the caloric value of each ingredient, and add it all together.

If you are referring to the 8 cup biscuit mix, the size would about equal half a 5 pound bag of flour, you need a container with a tight fitting lid. No, you do not add eggs to make biscuits, and the butter is already in the mix, do not add more.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I have MasterCook 7.0. I don't use it for recipes, just to calculate nutritional values. I key in the ingredients and their quantities along with the number of servings and I get all the nutritional value I want and more.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

End confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON View Post
is "T." table spoon?

and i thought transfat was worse than sat fat... is it?

the best way to remember or understand is:

tsp = teaspoon
Tbsp = Tablespoon