"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Head Chef

I love cornbread with butter..yum

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

Well, the obvious that have already been mentioned - gumbo, beef stew, chicken-n-dumplings, pork pot roast, fried chicken, turnip/mustard/collard greens, beans, split peas, soups - just about anything!

For breakfast, or a snack, I also like to take a slab and split, butter, and run it under the broiler to toast it and then drizzle with Brer Rabbit molasses or some blackstrap molasses.

For a bedtime snack - I'll crumble some cornbread into a glass and moisten with sweet milk (that's just regular whole milk) if the cornbread doesn't have sugar in it - buttermilk if the cornbread has sugar in it.

And, yeah, that's a good looking pan of cornbread, mikki!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
Head Chef

Just with butter and honey is great with me.

Course can you can always make cornbread and sausage gravy, using cornbread instead of the traditional biscuits.

Cornbread, great stuff.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Sorry about you oven, at least your new one is on it's way. So this might be a stupid question,but I'm going to ask anyway,What do you use corn bread for? Do you primarily use it to dunk in things? Pretty good I make something then don't know what to do with it. I wanted to try it though.
I love to have homemade cornbread with chili, too.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Of course, I have to ask: Yankee or Southern style?

Southern style has no sugar, Yankee style is sweet (which runs in direct opposition to the way most people in those regions like thier iced tea. Southern style iced tea is sweet to the point of being tea syurp, and the other side likes unsweetened tea).

I like both types. Either with butter (Cornbread, not tea. Tea with butter... ?). As a side with chili, pork, beef, there's very little I won't eat cornbread with.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
Master Chef

Woo-hoo, Miki, looks great! Congratulations! In addition to all the other suggestions for the use of cornbread it's delicious alongside smoked sausage (not breakfast links but that would probably be ok, too) and beans.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Mikki....

Wow, That looks good! Nice job!!

What to eat with it has pretty much been covered by everyone. Cornbread was/is (more so in the past) a daily staple food in the South. It was cooked everyday as table bread for whatever else was on the table. None of it was wasted, as evidenced in the various uses suggested by others. "Peas and Cornbread" is a very common phrase heard here. The peas are Southern field or Cow peas. Pink Eye Purple Hull, Mississippi Purple Hull, various crowder varieties and the ubiquitous Black Eye pea are some of the favorites. Peas and Cornbread (cooked with various pork products) filled many an empty belly in the rural South. As Michael mentioned, no self repsecting Southerner would sit down to a bowl of Turnip/Mustard/Collard greens without Cornbread. Crumbling some bread in the juice (Pot Likker) of the greens is a delicacy. "Milk and Bread" another term heard often here (more so in the past) was mentioned by Michael also. There is a Thread on DC somewhere about this dish. You might find it interesting to find and read it. I never eat soup without cornbread. Not French onion or Vichyssoise, but just about any other kind.

I know a group of investors that came to Mississippi and spent several $Million on a bakery to do nothing but produce New York style bagels of every variety. I laughed aloud at them. Telling them that in Mississippi that the masses only know of three kinds of bread. Cornbread, light bread, and biscuits!! 18 months later they went back North...broke!

Enjoy your Cornbread!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Miss Mikki....

Wow, That looks good! Nice job!!

What to eat with it has pretty much been covered by everyone. Cornbread was/is (more so in the past) a daily staple food in the South. It was cooked everyday as table bread for whatever else was on the table. None of it was wasted, as evidenced in the various uses suggested by others. "Peas and Cornbread" is a very common phrase heard here. The peas are Southern field or Cow peas. Pink Eye Purple Hull, Mississippi Purple Hull, various crowder varieties and the ubiquitous Black Eye pea are some of the favorites. Peas and Cornbread (cooked with various pork products) filled many an empty belly in the rural South. As Michael mentioned, no self repsecting Southerner would sit down to a bowl of Turnip/Mustard/Collard greens without Cornbread. Crumbling some bread in the juice (Pot Likker) of the greens is a delicacy. "Milk and Bread" another term heard often here (more so in the past) was mentioned by Michael also. There is a Thread on DC somewhere about this dish. You might find it interesting to find and read it. I never eat soup without cornbread. Not French onion or Vichyssoise, but just about any other kind.

I know a group of investors that came to Mississippi and spent several $Million on a bakery to do nothing but produce New York style bagels of every variety. I laughed aloud at them. Telling them that in Mississippi that the masses only know of three kinds of bread. Cornbread, light bread, and biscuits!! 18 months later they went back North...broke!

Enjoy your Cornbread!!
So you're saying my bagel baking talents would be completely wasted by a move south.....
Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Sous Chef

OOH.. That does look good! I would love to know how you made it!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie
So you're saying my bagel baking talents would be completely wasted by a move south.....
Not completely, there are some people who enjoy them. Ya just better have more goodies in your baking repetoire if you expect to make a living. A couple that come to mind would be a darn good do-nut and an a great pecan pie recipe!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote