I Made Cornbread!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is so strange how miles can related to different foods in growing up.
I am 62 Yankee - Michigan, never had a green in my life, nor southern cornbread, only Grandmas -Johnny Cake- sweet cornbread ! We all are missing out on so much. Sorry do not care for grits or reg. cornbread, guess it was how I was brought up. Sad huh ! I do buy canned Collards, or mixed greens now. Love navy or northern beans - never had a pinto until many years ago at a friends. Good stuff !

I don't eat collards at all, but I couldn't bear to eat canned greens of any kind. If I can't get fresh turnips or mustard, I will eat frozen, but never canned - I'd rather do without. Of course rutabagas are delicious served with cornbread also and as others have said - most kinds of soup, chili. My grandmother always made cornbread and biscuits every day - biscuits every morning, and biscuits and cornbread for the other meals. Even her leftovers were great.

I would too Uncle Bob, it will never happen in Mich. ! My family would be clueless and turn their nose up - poor Yankees ! :ROFLMAO:

Beginner Chef-- You'll have to talk to Uncle Bob about the recipe,I was sworn to secrecy. I'm having a piece warmed with butter with my morning coffee. Now that's pretty good!!!!

Like mentioned in another thread, it sure does season it, too. I don't remember my CI skillet looking so black and shiny after meaking this recipe myself a couple nights ago.

Corn bread with butter is still one of my favorites. Of course it goes well with ham&beans too.

My mom just seasoned it and I know it hasn't been used in a while. It was my Grandmas and she passed 2 years ago,mom didn' use at all.

Ooh.. I also forgot. Next time you make cornbread. Chop up some canned jalapeños and stir them in... Tasty!!!!!

Ooh.. I also forgot. Next time you make cornbread. Chop up some canned jalapeños and stir them in... Tasty!!!!!

I made some once browning some bacon, then jalapenos. poured the batter on top and baked. MMMMMMMM YUMMUY!

:)Dont forget the cheddar cheese in it.The only time I like honey is in baking or on corn bread or sopaipillas.
I like a some what sweet corn bread with butter and honey.

corn breads

i make several different kinds. sweet a la marie callenders. it is more cake like.

then unsweetened baked, my mom used to melt shortening in the pan she was going to cook it in. then she would pour shortening into corn bread batter.not sure what this was supposed to do for it.

i make hoe cakes,with sliced okra in them, good with soup, beans pretty much anything.basically a fried corn mean pan cake.

make corn muffins, add corn and onions and once in awhile cheese to batter.

yum o

babe

Nice!!!
I went and bought all the stuff for it, and my stupid oven started acting up last night, so instead of CHili and UB's cornbread, the kids had PB&J and I had a Martini!!!

I think I'll have to post a pic of the first thing I bake in it. :)

You don't have to bake it in the oven. Make it on a griddle like pancakes. They're called corn fritters.

Thanks for the compliment and all the input, I did try the chicken gravy over the cornbread, a different taste than I'm use to,but it was good. DH just asked me why I made cornbread he hates it. Guess I found something just for me
Your cornbread looks very good! My hubby enjoys cornbread, but I don't .

Back
Top Bottom