I Made Cornbread!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Thanks to Uncle Bob, I made it today,just came out of the oven. Here's a picture

Attachments

• cornbread.jpg
    cornbread.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 220
Nice!!!
I went and bought all the stuff for it, and my stupid oven started acting up last night, so instead of CHili and UB's cornbread, the kids had PB&J and I had a Martini!!!

I think I'll have to post a pic of the first thing I bake in it. :)

Sorry about you oven, at least your new one is on it's way. So this might be a stupid question,but I'm going to ask anyway,What do you use corn bread for? Do you primarily use it to dunk in things? Pretty good I make something then don't know what to do with it. I wanted to try it though.

I make stuffing with it or eat it with chili. That's about it!
I'm sure there's more. I'm not creative.

Your cornbread looks excellent, mikki. In the south, we eat cornbread with butter on it and/or jelly or jam, too. I love it just as a snack with a big glass of milk but I usually serve it for dinner with a big pot of navy beans and a salad. Yummy.

where I was raised, appalachia, it is common/mandatory to serve cornbread with beans, most often bean soup. Matter of fact, that's what we are having for dinner tonight. You can serve the cornbread to be crumpled up in the soup, in which case you make the soup very thin. Or you can serve it on the side, to be sliced and topped with butter. I do both, top with butter then crumble in the soup:LOL:. It is very good served with butter and maple syrup or honey.

Ooooh, I wish I was having dinner at your house tonight, beth. Now that I think about it, I guess it is more of a soup. Do you cook bacon or salt pork in your beans? I'm drooling here. Also, my dad used to love to crumble cornbread into a big glass of buttermilk.

Come on over Mom. I use ham bones and cubed ham in my beans. I've been getting some smoked hams and I save the bones and chunks of meat in the freezer for soups. Tonight I am using a fresh smoked ham bone and some frozen smoked ham..is smelling pretty good at the moment.

Great looking skillet of corn bread there mikki!
I like to serve cornbread with my gumbo, my kids always liked thiers with butter and jelly. When I make chili, cornbread is mandatory.

Thanks for the compliment and all the input, I did try the chicken gravy over the cornbread, a different taste than I'm use to,but it was good. DH just asked me why I made cornbread he hates it. Guess I found something just for me

Well, the obvious that have already been mentioned - gumbo, beef stew, chicken-n-dumplings, pork pot roast, fried chicken, turnip/mustard/collard greens, beans, split peas, soups - just about anything!

For breakfast, or a snack, I also like to take a slab and split, butter, and run it under the broiler to toast it and then drizzle with Brer Rabbit molasses or some blackstrap molasses.

For a bedtime snack - I'll crumble some cornbread into a glass and moisten with sweet milk (that's just regular whole milk) if the cornbread doesn't have sugar in it - buttermilk if the cornbread has sugar in it.

And, yeah, that's a good looking pan of cornbread, mikki!

Just with butter and honey is great with me.

Course can you can always make cornbread and sausage gravy, using cornbread instead of the traditional biscuits.

Cornbread, great stuff.

Sorry about you oven, at least your new one is on it's way. So this might be a stupid question,but I'm going to ask anyway,What do you use corn bread for? Do you primarily use it to dunk in things? Pretty good I make something then don't know what to do with it. I wanted to try it though.

I love to have homemade cornbread with chili, too.

Of course, I have to ask: Yankee or Southern style?

Southern style has no sugar, Yankee style is sweet (which runs in direct opposition to the way most people in those regions like thier iced tea. Southern style iced tea is sweet to the point of being tea syurp, and the other side likes unsweetened tea).

I like both types. Either with butter (Cornbread, not tea. Tea with butter... :ermm:?). As a side with chili, pork, beef, there's very little I won't eat cornbread with.

Woo-hoo, Miki, looks great! Congratulations! In addition to all the other suggestions for the use of cornbread it's delicious alongside smoked sausage (not breakfast links but that would probably be ok, too) and beans.

Miss Mikki....

Wow, That looks good! Nice job!!

What to eat with it has pretty much been covered by everyone. Cornbread was/is (more so in the past) a daily staple food in the South. It was cooked everyday as table bread for whatever else was on the table. None of it was wasted, as evidenced in the various uses suggested by others. "Peas and Cornbread" is a very common phrase heard here. The peas are Southern field or Cow peas. Pink Eye Purple Hull, Mississippi Purple Hull, various crowder varieties and the ubiquitous Black Eye pea are some of the favorites. Peas and Cornbread (cooked with various pork products) filled many an empty belly in the rural South. As Michael mentioned, no self repsecting Southerner would sit down to a bowl of Turnip/Mustard/Collard greens without Cornbread. Crumbling some bread in the juice (Pot Likker) of the greens is a delicacy. "Milk and Bread" another term heard often here (more so in the past) was mentioned by Michael also. There is a Thread on DC somewhere about this dish. You might find it interesting to find and read it. I never eat soup without cornbread. Not French onion or Vichyssoise, but just about any other kind.

I know a group of investors that came to Mississippi and spent several $Million on a bakery to do nothing but produce New York style bagels of every variety. I laughed aloud at them. Telling them that in Mississippi that the masses only know of three kinds of bread. Cornbread, light bread, and biscuits!!:ermm: 18 months later they went back North...broke! :LOL:

Enjoy your Cornbread!!

Miss Mikki....

Wow, That looks good! Nice job!!

What to eat with it has pretty much been covered by everyone. Cornbread was/is (more so in the past) a daily staple food in the South. It was cooked everyday as table bread for whatever else was on the table. None of it was wasted, as evidenced in the various uses suggested by others. "Peas and Cornbread" is a very common phrase heard here. The peas are Southern field or Cow peas. Pink Eye Purple Hull, Mississippi Purple Hull, various crowder varieties and the ubiquitous Black Eye pea are some of the favorites. Peas and Cornbread (cooked with various pork products) filled many an empty belly in the rural South. As Michael mentioned, no self repsecting Southerner would sit down to a bowl of Turnip/Mustard/Collard greens without Cornbread. Crumbling some bread in the juice (Pot Likker) of the greens is a delicacy. "Milk and Bread" another term heard often here (more so in the past) was mentioned by Michael also. There is a Thread on DC somewhere about this dish. You might find it interesting to find and read it. I never eat soup without cornbread. Not French onion or Vichyssoise, but just about any other kind.

I know a group of investors that came to Mississippi and spent several $Million on a bakery to do nothing but produce New York style bagels of every variety. I laughed aloud at them. Telling them that in Mississippi that the masses only know of three kinds of bread. Cornbread, light bread, and biscuits!!:ermm: 18 months later they went back North...broke! :LOL:

Enjoy your Cornbread!!

So you're saying my bagel baking talents would be completely wasted by a move south..... :(

suziquzie said:
So you're saying my bagel baking talents would be completely wasted by a move south..... :(

:LOL: Not completely, there are some people who enjoy them. Ya just better have more goodies in your baking repetoire if you expect to make a living. A couple that come to mind would be a darn good do-nut and an a great pecan pie recipe!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom