"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 03-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
Certified Executive Chef

Arrow ISHBEL, authentic Irish Soda Bread

Ishbel, I have found a couple of recipes for this but is it really Irish and if so do you have a family recipe to share????

Old 03-16-2005, 05:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Ishbel, I have found a couple of recipes for this but is it really Irish and if so do you have a family recipe to share????
Soda bread really IS Irish, and I use Darina Allen's recipe - here's a link which shows the recipe. She was obviously visiting the USA and appeared on a chef's programme!
http://greatdayamerica.com/chefharry...odabread.shtml

Old 03-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

Norgeskog - you might find this site of interest: http://www.bookguy.com/cooking/Sodabread.htm
Old 03-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Thanks Ishbel and Michael, I will use a recipe for the bread. Looking forward to trying it. Ishbel, the one at the link you send is slightly different than the one from my local newspaper, which had cream of tarter and butter added. Interesting the differences, one has oil/butter the other not. I will probably do the one you sent me as it has no butter in it, rather put butter on warm bread.....
Old 03-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Darina Allen's a great cook. I visited her cookery school in Ballymaloe a few years back. I posted her version of an Irish Whiskey cake in the thread you started further down this forum. For some reason, it doesn't show that I posted a reply to your request... There are still a few glitches on this new-style board!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
Senior Cook

[QUOTE=norgeskog]Thanks Ishbel and Michael, I will use a recipe for the bread. Looking forward to trying it. Ishbel, the one at the link you send is slightly different than the one from my local newspaper, which had cream of tarter and butter added. <snip>

the original recipes use buttermilk, this is acid enough to react with the baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) to produce the carbon dioxide needed for the rising. If you don't use buttermilk, you have to use another acid, like cream of tartar. HTH. The best bread I ever had was soda bread from Buncranna, Co Donegal.
cheers
Waaza
Old 03-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef

[QUOTE=waaza]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Thanks Ishbel and Michael, I will use a recipe for the bread. Looking forward to trying it. Ishbel, the one at the link you send is slightly different than the one from my local newspaper, which had cream of tarter and butter added. <snip>

the original recipes use buttermilk, this is acid enough to react with the baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) to produce the carbon dioxide needed for the rising. If you don't use buttermilk, you have to use another acid, like cream of tartar. HTH. The best bread I ever had was soda bread from Buncranna, Co Donegal.
cheers
Waaza
thanks Waaza, obviously I am not a pastry person.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Certified Executive Chef

BTW the recipe from Ishbel worked great. I used whole wheat bread flour and it was really great bread. I will make it again. It really tasted good warm from the oven with butter, along with the corned beef and colcannon.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Norkesgog
I love Darina Allen. If you ever see her Ballymaloe cookery book, buy it.... she is a great cook. And her teaching style is ace!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Norkesgog
I love Darina Allen. If you ever see her Ballymaloe cookery book, buy it.... she is a great cook. And her teaching style is ace!
Thanks Ishbel, I shall look for it, can you explain exactly what Ballymaloe cookery is??