ISO - Fast Biscuits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I have plenty of good biscuit recipes that take a while - I use them during the winter. Fishing season is coming up in a couple of days and I would be interested in the fastest, easiest biscuits that are edible. Drop biscuits would be fine.

These are great & fast!

Mayonaise Biscuits

2C self rising flour
1C. milk
4Tbsp. mayo

Combine all ingredients forming a stiff dough. Drop into greased muffin tin. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

This are the first biscuits that my mom taught me how to make. They are fast, easy, and delicious.

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup shortening
2/3 – ¾ cup milk

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in shortening until like coarse crumbs. Make a well; add milk all at once. Stir quickly with fork, just until dough follows fork around bowl. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Dough should be soft. Knead gently 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough ½” thick. Dip cutter in flour. Cut dough straight down – no twisting. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes at 450˚. Makes 15.

I really like these biscuits from Paula Deen and they are very easy to make

Beer Biscuits

Biscuits:
4 cups biscuit mix
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12-ounce) can beer
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Honey Butter:
1/2 pound butter
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients together and mix well. Pour the batter into well-greased muffing tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.

Allow the butter to soften to room temperature. Using an electric mixer whip the butter and honey together until well mixed and smooth. Serve the biscuits while still warm with the honey butter.

Marge, I love your style! I use Grands a good bit but when I want biscuits without the work, I like Pillsbury's frozen biscuits. I should buy stock in those things!:)

Dove said:
Pillsbery Grands.
I have used Grands occasionally when I had a lot of other things going on in the kitchen at the same time. Just having a couple biscuits for breakfast, however, they don't save me any time because I make the scratch dough while the oven is heating. Also, Grands have never baked up as well for me after the vacuum seal is broken the first time.

I made the following for breakfest this am and they were really good. Best cheese Biscuits
2 cups all purpose flour
4tsp Baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup grated chedder cheese
1/3 cup cooking oil 3/4 cup Milk.
Measure first 4 dry ingredients together. Add grated cheese and mix. Add cooking oil and milk. Stir to form a soft ball of dough. Turn out on slightly floured surface and kneed for gently for 8-10 times. roll or pat to 1 inch thick. (i patted the dough out as I think that works better) cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 for 15 min. Makes about a dozen but I got 11.
Chedder cheese works the best as it gives more flavor. I served this with sausage gravey. Now this didn't take long at all. I'm making another batch to freeze and then just warm up the biscuits.I think the less you handle the dough the better. they were light and fluffy.I plan on making them for the hunting shack this year.

Most of the recipes call for rolling out and cutting or other fairly extensive prep, so maybe I should just make a large batch, freeze them and use as I need. What is the best way to defrost them - refrigerator overnight? And, do they rise as much when they aren't fresh (that's my problem with the Grands)?

Otter the only thing I can tell you is that with the diffrent brands of frozen biscuits, you bake them still frozen & they rise really well.

Last edited:
Dove said:
Pillsbery Grands.

:LOL: Marge, Grands are great. I must admit I use them often, when I decide to have biscuits that is, which is very rarely. Otter is right they don't rise as high as biscuits from scratch. But hey what do we expect when you buy something in a can.:rolleyes: They will do in a pinch.

Otter, try these - they're TNT from my grand MIL in NC -

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

½ cup butter
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425; grease a baking sheet or use a sheet of parchment paper.

Cut in butter and flour coarsely. Add milk, stir to just incorporate. Turn out on floured board, knead 3-4 times. Pat dough out to a rectangle 3/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits, place on baking sheet. Dip your knuckles into a small dish of buttermilk, and lightly indent the biscuits. Bake 13-15 minutes, til light brown.

To make drop biscuits, increase milk to 1 ¼ cups and drop biscuits on baking sheet.

I never roll out my biscuit dough - I just pat it out on a floured board - and instead of using a round cutter, it's a lot easier to just take a knife and cut out squares - that way, you don't have to reroll and cut the scraps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom