"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO recipe for sour milk biscuits

Growing up my grandmother always famous for her biscuits would always leave a half gallon of milk purchased from the grocery out on the counter for days until it would clabber to use in her biscuits. I would love to have a similar recipe if anyone has a good one. I have tried buttermilk and although good does not taste the same.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I don't know about sour milk, but as an alternative for buttermilk biscuits, you add 1 tablespoon of vinegar per cup of regular milk to sour it, make it clabber and then use that in making biscuits using a buttermilk biscuit recipe. It sounds as if this is a close cousin to arriving at the same end - a wonderful biscuit!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Master Chef

The nearest substitute I have been able to find for old time clabber is sour cream. Don't know what your recipe is, but you might look at this recipe for Sour Cream Biscuits - of course there are some other variations on this theme: Google Search - Sour Cream Biscuits
Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Head Chef

This one I use alot

Sour Cream biscuits
2 cups self-rising flour
2 sticks butter, melted
1/2 pint sour cream
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients and drop by spoon on baking sheet, or place in ungreased muffin tins
Bake for 15 -20 minutes.

Every oven is different so watch your first batch
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the suggestions, if I can't find someone who knows about this just leaving milk out on the counter to clabber thing, I'll have to try one of these and see if comes out tasting the same. Wish I had just learned how to make Grandma's biscuits when she was still around!! Hindsight....
Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well, I do know something "about this just leaving milk out on the counter to clabber thing" ... and the answer is you have to use raw (unpasteurized and not homogenized) milk - something you're not likely to find anywhere these days except some health food stores or by buying it directly from a dairyman or someone else who keeps a few milk cows. Pasteurization kills the natural bacteria that causes milk to sour and clabber - it just spoils.

So this brings us back to what Selkie said for sour milk - to 1 tablespoon of white vinegar add enough whole milk to make 1 Cup. Let this sit for 10-15 minutes to "sour". This can be used as a substitute for buttermilk - and recipes that used to call for sour milk now call for buttermilk - so use this sour milk in a buttermilk recipe and you're back to a sour milk recipe.

Clabber was the the soured cream that rose to the top, aka clabbered cream. Today, the nearest thing is sour cream. If it is too thick it can be thinned out with a little heavy cream or some of the homemade sour milk above.