"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Old 10-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Head Chef
ISO Savory Muffins or biscuits

I am looking for a recipe for savory muffins or biscuits that I can bring to a friends house for a party. She is serving a very hearty soup/stew. If you can, I'd like the temp and time to bake them in mini muffin tins. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Master Chef
Have you used the Search function up above to search the site for muffins and biscuits? I'm sure you'll find a ton that fit the flavors you're thinking of!

I don't think that biscuits could be baked in mini-muffin tins, but if you look under the muffin thread in the desserts forum you'll find a lot of good muffin recipes. You could modify any of the biscuit recipes on the site by just making smaller ones (either smaller spoonfulls or using smaller cutters if they're rolled ones).

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
This used to be a Paula Deen recipe, but I replaced the self-rising flour, which most people don't keep handy, with all purpose flour and baking powder, and I replaced the heavy cream with non-fat yogurt, which reduced the calorie and fat content and gave them a bit of a tangy flavor, like sourdough bread.

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups plain, non-fat yogurt

Preheat oven to 500F

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and yogurt until the dough forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with flour.

Fold the dough in 1/2 and knead 5 to 7 times, adding just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands. Gently roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter coated with flour, cut dough into biscuits. DO NOT TWIST THE BISCUIT CUTTER!

Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray, leaving at least 1-inch between each biscuit. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have a Williams-Sonoma recipe for Jalapeno-Cornmeal Muffins and a recipe for Cheddar Mustard Muffins from the CanadianBaker blog. Unfortunately they're not T&T, but they both sound excellent. Will post them if you're interested.
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
Head Chef
Thank you all very much. Great ideas.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote