ISO World's Best Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have a tremendous pancake recipe of my own making, which I've posted in the past. I have Audeo's amazing banana bread recipe (we miss you Audeo, if you are out there, say hi.). I wish to augment these with an incredible cornbread recipe, something that would enhance a savory meal such as chili, or a good beef roast. And it better be better than a Jiffy Mix. :rolleyes:

Let's see whatcha got. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I won't be able to get all of the ingredients until payday comes around. But that recipe looks awsome. Of course you realize that I'll have to play with it a bit, make it my own. I will be trying it as is too. I can hardly wait. :mrgreen:

Thanks MudBug. I'll let you know what I think about the recipe, and the results of my own experiments. Hint, think about the savory aroma of a good fire. How do you get that into the cornbread while cooking in the oven? And, will that flavor enhance the other flavors?

Ok, that's all I'm giving you for now. :mrgreen: I know you can figure out what I'm going to do. Just call me the Goodweed, the Yooper gourmet. :zorro:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cheesy Spoonbread - it's in the same post as the Bean and Pasta Salad

I also like to serve this cornbread with a salad made out of rotini pasta, chopped artichoke hearts, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, steamed baby shrimp and bay scallops. The dressing I use with this is a poppyseed dressing - St. Martaans's I think - round bottle - they only carry a few flavors.

Well, here's the first try. I followed the recipe for the most part. But I didn't have all the ingredients and set myself short on cash this pay period (paid for $80 worth of rock-concert tickets for my son & I to enjoy a night together :) ). Anyways, why let a few missing ingredients spoil a good experiment?

I used 1/4 cup Velveeta cheese to substitue for the sour cream and buttermilk. I used exactly 1 cup flour and and equal measure of cornbread and increased the baking powder by 1 tsp. Milk was used for the liquid and butter was used for the fat. Add 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (hickory flavor) and replace the sugar with Splenda, and there you have it.

Results: The flavor was excellent. The cornbread had a wonderfully soft, yet grainy texture that made it a great match for your favorite beverage, or with gravy. It was just a bit on the dry side, which of course could be corrected by adding a bit more fat to the recipe. My wife thought that I had added freshly blended corn kernals to the batter as it had a great corn flavor. I think it was the combination of smoke, butter, and the natural flavor of the cornmeal that gave that impression.

This cornbread was very good when lightly heated in the microwave, and spread with butter and jam. It held together well, making it easy to serve, and yet was very tender. It just needed a bit more oil.

Now, next payday, I'm going to have to make the real thing. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom