"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
BettyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hull, Texas
Posts: 243
ISO your best cornbread recipe.

I'm making red beans and rice for supper tonight and I have a cornbread recipe that I've been using for years; it's a good recipe and we like it but I'm getting bored with it.

Does anyone have a recipe that they really like and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks,
Betty

__________________

__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 470
Try adding some corn, pepper, onions or all three. It changes the bread. We like it with cheddar cheese in it also. Also, sometimes I make corn cakes, I fry the batter like pancakes. That changes things up too.
__________________

__________________
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Miss Betty, you could change the oil maybe. Try using or adding bacon drippings. Jalapenos would add some zip as well. Then the corn "cakes' Miss Carol suggested are really good. I actually fry them in a small amount of oil so they will be a little crispy!


Enjoy!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
I'm making red beans and rice for supper tonight and I have a cornbread recipe that I've been using for years; it's a good recipe and we like it but I'm getting bored with it.

Does anyone have a recipe that they really like and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks,
Betty
\
just ask uncle bob, his hush puppies are sooooooooooooo good
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
BettyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hull, Texas
Posts: 243
Thank you both; those are some really good suggestions!!!

I happen to have a can of cream corn in the pantry that I picked up by mistake. I think I'll add that along with some cheese and jalapenos; that should jazz it up a bit.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
BettyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hull, Texas
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
\
just ask uncle bob, his hush puppies are sooooooooooooo good
Uncle Bob, how about that hush puppy recipe? I'd love to have it if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Betty
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
Thank you both; those are some really good suggestions!!!

I happen to have a can of cream corn in the pantry that I picked up by mistake. I think I'll add that along with some cheese and jalapenos; that should jazz it up a bit.
Miss Betty, I do't know how much bread you are making, but a whole can of cream style corn may be a bit much. Depending on the reicpe of course.
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
BettyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hull, Texas
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Miss Betty, I do't know how much bread you are making, but a whole can of cream style corn may be a bit much. Depending on the reicpe of course.
This is my recipe, I thought that I'd decrease the milk by 1/2 cup and add 1 cup of cream corn in its place. What do you think?

Golden Corn Bread

1 cup AP flour
2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1-1/2 cups milk

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

Preheat oven 400°

Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk.

Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the hot skillet and tilt to cover the bottom and sides with the oil, pour the batter into the skillet and bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
This is my recipe, I thought that I'd decrease the milk by 1/2 cup and add 1 cup of cream corn in its place. What do you think?

Golden Corn Bread

1 cup AP flour
2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1-1/2 cups milk

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

Preheat oven 400°

Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk.

Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the hot skillet and tilt to cover the bottom and sides with the oil, pour the batter into the skillet and bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes.

I say go for it!! If it's too much/too little for your taste you will know next time.

Ok,,,,Now I want cornbread!!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I second using the bacon drippings. I also add caramelized red onion, peppers, a load of fresh cilantro and jalapeño. The addition of a good smoked cheddar or pepper jack cubes(small) is nice too.

can also add a little more corn meal, some cream, roasted garlic, fresh parsley and do it Italian kinda. Not saying to pair with your red beans and rice though.
__________________

__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.