It is Now Clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, he is. just like a boxed pancake mix.

(tom arnold? :ermm: i'm more of a fabio kinda guy, just fatter. call me flabio...)

Chief, next time you stray from the UP you need to pack the dry ingredients for your pancakes in a zip-lock bag. That's what I do with my scone mix when we leave for a trip. The dry ingredients for scones, plus my Nordic Ware scone pan. Right in the trunk...although I would still take it if we were flying. Just make sure you put it into your checked luggage. You don't want too many questions about that "powder" from the TSA agent. :ermm:

Wow! I'm impressed. I knew you guys and gals were creative, but again, wow!

I think you could start a successful sitcom, maybe call it The Pancake Whisperer. Somebody like Mathew McCaughney could play me. We could get Tom Arnold to play B.T. For the ladies, we could get Michelle Pfeiffer, Katherine Heigl, Scarlet Johansen, Charlize Theron, Kate Beckensale, Halle Berry, and Jessica Alba.

It could be about the misadventures of all those women trying to make good pancakes from a boxed mix. B.T. & I would be available to show them the error of their ways. Sounds good to me.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Excuse me, but I'm not the one who made pancakes from a mix. The only pancake mix I have ever used is the one we make ourselves. And you need someone who looks Asian or Native to play me.

taxy I make my pancakes from scratch too. Since we don't use mixes we shouldn't be IN the movie, but I think we should be crew for the movie. You want to work lights, camera or sound?
Nah, I would want a movie that showed both men and women in both types of rolls.

I used Pillsbury pancake mix today. It's the first time I used the mix in so many years that I can't remember the last time. It is now clear to me why I don't use pancake mix. The results were edible, but downright pasty feeling in the mouth. I followed the box directions and only added what was called for, no milk, no eggs, just water and mix. I'll wait until I'm home before making pancakes again.

The Aunt Jemima brand that my Dad used to use was far better. It required milk, eggs, and cooking oil.

And to think, people actually purchase and love pancakes made by the Pillsbury mix. Can you tell that I'm not impressed?

Seeeeeeay; Chief Longwind of the North
Isn't it as easy to make pancake batter from scratch? It's certain to be cheaper.

Isn't it as easy to make pancake batter from scratch? It's certain to be cheaper.

This recipe is what we use at home. I've never given it to anyone that didn't love it, except my pal - CharlieD, who has his own beloved recipe. I'm not using it here, on vacation in Southern Cal., as my inlaws seem to enjoy the boxed mix, and the boxed mac & Cheese, and the pre-cooked bacon, and the TV dinners, and the... you get the idea. You've probably seen this recipe here in DC before, but just in case you haven't, give it a try.:mrgreen:

The Chief's Best Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil

Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over-mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will disapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel cover.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to balance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I agree about Krusteaz. Forget about using water and use beer for the liquid. It's my dad's deer hunting recipe. Beer improves almost any mix that calls for water as the liquid. I especially like the oatmeal beer available at Trader Joe's for this use.

The one I love is when folks say, "I hear you're really good at making _______. Would you mind making it? Here's a mix." Later, "Well, that wasn't any better than I make it." :wacko:

The one I love is when folks say, "I hear you're really good at making _______. Would you mind making it? Here's a mix." Later, "Well, that wasn't any better than I make it." :wacko:

I have had that happen. Then when I tell them I don't make it that way, I get, :wacko: "But that is the only way my family will eat it!" Well then make it yourself. :angel:

Classic American Pancake recipe

Thank you so much. I know my husband will want me to make him some, even though I asked for the recipe for an Italian friend of mine. I'm so delighted:yum:

di reston

This recipe is what we use at home. I've never given it to anyone that didn't love it, except my pal - CharlieD, who has his own beloved recipe.
Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Eeeeh, it's not entirely true. I like them, but only if somebody else make them and serves them to me right away, because it is when they are the best. But nobody does. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom