"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
I highly doubt you'll get a rise from it. I've had my yeast still do their work after getting up to 145 once but I try not to push it.
you could leave it and see if it will rise...but i'd probably start over.
also, if you really want to know that it doubled other then being able to see how much air is in it, use a narrow container..just make sure to lube it up a little so the dough comes out.
and not a problem...it's part of the reason i am here.
I have a great set of glass mixing bowls I use for all my baking stuff, really tall and narrow...so that should be easy to spot. Alright then, I'm off to scrape out the bowl, wash it and start over.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Whoa! Nevermind! While I was in my home office posting those responses and chatting with my mom the dough in the bowl rose about half the amount it's supposed to rise. Looks like it's still going strong so I'm gonna leave it and see how it comes out.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Whoa! Nevermind! While I was in my home office posting those responses and chatting with my mom the dough in the bowl rose about half the amount it's supposed to rise. Looks like it's still going strong so I'm gonna leave it and see how it comes out.

Good stuff.
Like I said, it is possible that it will do it. those temps are only the recommended ones that I have picked up from my books here and there.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Senior Cook

By the way, garlicjosh, the recipe I'm using actually has 3 rises instead of the 2 you mentioned, so I realized a few hours ago that what you were calling your 1st rise (where you put it in the fridge overnight) was the 2nd rise in my recipe. I took that advice and stuck it in the fridge and it's still rising! Nearly doubled.

It's 10pm here now so I have a choice....

Do I stay up late and try to finish it tonight (I still have one more rise to go)? Or will it be okay to leave it in the fridge overnight even though it's more than 3/4 through the 2nd rise? Is there a danger it will rise too much?

On the whole it seems like my first attempt at baking with yeast in a tropical environment is on track to be MUCH more successful than attempting the same in a desert climate.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

You know, I just read that yesterday when I was reading up on baking bread. The answer is yes, you can let it rise to much. Something about it can collapse from all the gasses built up in it. At least that's what one place on the internet said.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Not necessarily....

I did a search for "White Bread" on AllRecipes and got these results:

Allrecipes - Recipe Search

White Bread for Bread Machine (don't have one)
White Chocolate Bread (not what I'm looking for)
Buttermilk White Bread (can't buy buttermilk here)
White Bread I (also calls for bread machine, don't have one)

etc etc etc
I did a google search of white bread recipes and got lots of recipes including a lovely ciabatta bread recipe. Perhaps you don't want to limit yourself to Allrecipes. But I'm sure with so many folks snowed in today you will get lots of tried and true recipes here.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You know, I just read that yesterday when I was reading up on baking bread. The answer is yes, you can let it rise to much. Something about it can collapse from all the gasses built up in it. At least that's what one place on the internet said.
yeah, the yeast will just burn itself out and you wont have anything left and it all falls down like a bridge with a bunch of c4 attached to it.
and if the yeast manage to live through that..you will have a bread that tastes..more yeasty then bread like.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
yeah, the yeast will just burn itself out and you wont have anything left and it all falls down like a bridge with a bunch of c4 attached to it.
and if the yeast manage to live through that..you will have a bread that tastes..more yeasty then bread like.
I once set a loaf of bread to rise in a porch room in Phoenix, Az. when I went out to get it it had literally exploded all over the place. So yes, it can rise too much.
As for that yeasty flavor...oh, yummmm.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Okie dokie then....looks like I'm staying up late. *pours another cocktail*

So I have it all situated and working on the final rise now. Hope it works!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I once set a loaf of bread to rise in a porch room in Phoenix, Az. when I went out to get it it had literally exploded all over the place. So yes, it can rise too much.
As for that yeasty flavor...oh, yummmm.
Oh my....

My bigger problem is keeping my cats and my dog from trying to eat it.

Tags
bread