"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I use a percentage for mine:

Flour 100%
Yeast 1.2%
Water 65%
Powdered Milk .66%
Fat 2.5%
Sugar 2.6%
Salt 1.9%

Google bakers percentage and that will get you moving along.

I also weigh my ingredients (in grams) and for 2 loaves I use 8 cups of flour (960g). My bread pans are 9.5 x 5.5 x 4 and I make nice big loaves.

Lately I have been doing 70% bread flour 30% white whole wheat.

If you can't find bread flour and need to use all purpose you may need to reduce the water by a couple % to account for the lower protein flour.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I did a google search of white bread recipes and got lots of recipes including a lovely ciabatta bread recipe. Perhaps you don't want to limit yourself to Allrecipes. But I'm sure with so many folks snowed in today you will get lots of tried and true recipes here.
No you were right, when I googled it I came up with the one I'm now using....which was on AllRecipes. I always go to AR first because it's the most user friendly and it's very comprehensive. In this case it was just a little too comprehensive. Anyway I'm taking a shot on one of the ones I found but still hoping I get my hands on garlicjosh's recipe. And next time I won't start it late afternoon so I'm up all night babysitting rising dough. Thankfully I have the time to kill.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I use a percentage for mine:

Flour 100%
Yeast 1.2%
Water 65%
Powdered Milk .66%
Fat 2.5%
Sugar 2.6%
Salt 1.9%

Google bakers percentage and that will get you moving along.

I also weigh my ingredients (in grams) and for 2 loaves I use 8 cups of flour (960g). My bread pans are 9.5 x 5.5 x 4 and I make nice big loaves.

Lately I have been doing 70% bread flour 30% white whole wheat.

If you can't find bread flour and need to use all purpose you may need to reduce the water by a couple % to account for the lower protein flour.
Interesting....I've never heard of that technique. I'd like to check it out, though.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I find it useful because I can scale it. Been playing with different sized loaves, and different hydrations. Lately I have been closer to 68% because of the wheat flour.

Your flours always add to 100%. For instance when I do a white wheat mix I do 70% bread flour (672g) and 30% white whole wheat (288g).

The other ingredients are a percentage for the flour weight (in this case 960g total).

So the water is is 653g (at a 68% hydration level).

If I want to scale back I have a spreadsheet that I can tell it how many cups of flour I want to use and it does the magic. I can also change percentages of the ingredients and have it deal with that as well.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Frankz, that is impressive my friend. took me a minute to wrap my tired noodle around what you where saying..but in the end I was like "damn nice"

as for the issue with the animals...im of no help..im to busy laughing
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
Senior Cook

My cats are the worst!!! They LOVE bread! It's the craziest thing. They sell these amazing little yeast rolls here called pandesal....so freaking good. We go through a sack of about dozen rolls in a single day, so we only buy it every few weeks. But if we leave any pandesal in the bag on the counter overnight one of our cats will chew through the bag and munch on down. I thought it was a rat at first until I caught two of the little buggers in the act!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I just got on line, and read this entire thread. How wonderful it is to smell the bread baking! I was so happy to see that you had someone there to support you along the way. It is almost like having a friend in the kitchen with you to cheer you on! I think this forum is wonderful! Enjoy the bread.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I had a dog once that would leave meat on the counter, but would steel any bread or rolls!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I just got on line, and read this entire thread. How wonderful it is to smell the bread baking! I was so happy to see that you had someone there to support you along the way. It is almost like having a friend in the kitchen with you to cheer you on! I think this forum is wonderful! Enjoy the bread.
haha I like that

I basically kept the page open the whole time and just refreshed it every 15 minutes or so just to see if any more help was needed.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I had a dog once that would leave meat on the counter, but would steel any bread or rolls!
They're funny like that! One of my cats is nicknamed "meat monster". He's normally very, very chill, but you get some raw meat out and he starts yowling like he's not eaten in a year. Not to go too far off topic but.....

I defrost my meat in my small sink, and I learned pretty quickly that I have to cover it to keep the Meat Monster from helping himself. One time I covered the fish with a glass dish just to torture him. He was most displeased:

Tags
bread