"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #61
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
If your bread is rising that fast reduce some of the yeast. You want it to take some time, it develops the dough and adds flavor.

Most of the vendors suggest you want to use 1 packet (7g) per 4 cups of flour. I have used as little as 7g with 8 cups because it was rising too fast.

A fast rise is nice when you need to get it done, but you can go to the store and buy that style. Slow rise just makes better bread.
__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Bravo! Knew you could do it!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #63
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Beautiful! What a wonderful job. And it was so much easier on you this time! I am so happy for you!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #64
Senior Cook
 
cmarchibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tarlac City, Philippines
Posts: 309
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
If your bread is rising that fast reduce some of the yeast. You want it to take some time, it develops the dough and adds flavor.

Most of the vendors suggest you want to use 1 packet (7g) per 4 cups of flour. I have used as little as 7g with 8 cups because it was rising too fast.

A fast rise is nice when you need to get it done, but you can go to the store and buy that style. Slow rise just makes better bread.
Thanks for the advice, Frank, I'll take that into consideration next time I tackle it. I was just following the recipe but I wonder if my humid environment affects the activity of the yeast (when I don't kill it with boiling water, that is).

It was just funny to me that it was working that fast, when never in my life have I worked with yeast and had it go to town like that. Usually it's more like 10 hours later and I'm cursing at the bowl...."Rise &$#*% you! RISE!"
__________________
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Thanks for the advice, Frank, I'll take that into consideration next time I tackle it. I was just following the recipe but I wonder if my humid environment affects the activity of the yeast (when I don't kill it with boiling water, that is).

It was just funny to me that it was working that fast, when never in my life have I worked with yeast and had it go to town like that. Usually it's more like 10 hours later and I'm cursing at the bowl...."Rise &$#*% you! RISE!"
Are you buying the yeast locally? It might be a difference in the yeast.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #66
Senior Cook
 
cmarchibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tarlac City, Philippines
Posts: 309
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Are you buying the yeast locally? It might be a difference in the yeast.
Yeah I forgot to mention, they don't sell yeast here in the tiny little packs, so when recipes call for "1 pack of yeast" that doesn't help me unless I know the equivalent amount. I do have a kitchen scale and that helps. I bought a big ol' bag of yeast and it is produced here in the Philippines, so maybe it's different. All you can do is experiment, right?
__________________
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #67
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention, they don't sell yeast here in the tiny little packs, so when recipes call for "1 pack of yeast" that doesn't help me unless I know the equivalent amount. I do have a kitchen scale and that helps. I bought a big ol' bag of yeast and it is produced here in the Philippines, so maybe it's different. All you can do is experiment, right?
Are you using fresh yeast then? I have not used that. If it is a bag of dry yeast I would start with the idea that 7g = 1 packet.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #68
Senior Cook
 
cmarchibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tarlac City, Philippines
Posts: 309
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
It's dry yeast, Frank, just doesn't come in the teeny little packs they frequently sell in the US.
__________________
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #69
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Those teeny packets are too expensive for actually making bread with any regularity. I buy the jars which makes it much more cost effective.

And they are 7g. (in case I failed to mention it)

Do you store in the fridge?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #70
Senior Cook
 
cmarchibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tarlac City, Philippines
Posts: 309
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Those teeny packets are too expensive for actually making bread with any regularity. I buy the jars which makes it much more cost effective.

And they are 7g. (in case I failed to mention it)

Do you store in the fridge?
I don't store it in the fridge. Should I? I've had it for about 2 months but only recently opened it when I baked the first loaf I mentioned in this thread.
__________________

__________________
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.