Just plain bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your bread is rising that fast reduce some of the yeast. You want it to take some time, it develops the dough and adds flavor.

Most of the vendors suggest you want to use 1 packet (7g) per 4 cups of flour. I have used as little as 7g with 8 cups because it was rising too fast.

A fast rise is nice when you need to get it done, but you can go to the store and buy that style. Slow rise just makes better bread.

Beautiful! What a wonderful job. And it was so much easier on you this time! I am so happy for you!:chef:

If your bread is rising that fast reduce some of the yeast. You want it to take some time, it develops the dough and adds flavor.

Most of the vendors suggest you want to use 1 packet (7g) per 4 cups of flour. I have used as little as 7g with 8 cups because it was rising too fast.

A fast rise is nice when you need to get it done, but you can go to the store and buy that style. Slow rise just makes better bread.
Thanks for the advice, Frank, I'll take that into consideration next time I tackle it. I was just following the recipe but I wonder if my humid environment affects the activity of the yeast (when I don't kill it with boiling water, that is).

It was just funny to me that it was working that fast, when never in my life have I worked with yeast and had it go to town like that. Usually it's more like 10 hours later and I'm cursing at the bowl...."Rise &$#*% you! RISE!" :LOL:

Thanks for the advice, Frank, I'll take that into consideration next time I tackle it. I was just following the recipe but I wonder if my humid environment affects the activity of the yeast (when I don't kill it with boiling water, that is).

It was just funny to me that it was working that fast, when never in my life have I worked with yeast and had it go to town like that. Usually it's more like 10 hours later and I'm cursing at the bowl...."Rise &$#*% you! RISE!" :LOL:

Are you buying the yeast locally? It might be a difference in the yeast.

Are you buying the yeast locally? It might be a difference in the yeast.
Yeah I forgot to mention, they don't sell yeast here in the tiny little packs, so when recipes call for "1 pack of yeast" that doesn't help me unless I know the equivalent amount. :LOL: I do have a kitchen scale and that helps. I bought a big ol' bag of yeast and it is produced here in the Philippines, so maybe it's different. All you can do is experiment, right? :chef:

Yeah I forgot to mention, they don't sell yeast here in the tiny little packs, so when recipes call for "1 pack of yeast" that doesn't help me unless I know the equivalent amount. :LOL: I do have a kitchen scale and that helps. I bought a big ol' bag of yeast and it is produced here in the Philippines, so maybe it's different. All you can do is experiment, right? :chef:

Are you using fresh yeast then? I have not used that. If it is a bag of dry yeast I would start with the idea that 7g = 1 packet.

Those teeny packets are too expensive for actually making bread with any regularity. I buy the jars which makes it much more cost effective.

And they are 7g. (in case I failed to mention it)

Do you store in the fridge?

Those teeny packets are too expensive for actually making bread with any regularity. I buy the jars which makes it much more cost effective.

And they are 7g. (in case I failed to mention it)

Do you store in the fridge?
I don't store it in the fridge. Should I? I've had it for about 2 months but only recently opened it when I baked the first loaf I mentioned in this thread.

yeah. Pretty much every book I have read regarding bread/yeast recommends storing it in an airtight container after breaching the bag it's in.
I refuse to use the packets anymore..was just starting to cost to much with all the pizza and bread I do.
So I switched to a small jar of Red Star and I have a bag of Saf in my freezer right now.
I'll weigh mine out for a great deal of stuff but as time has gone on I've started just measuring.
2 1/4 tsp = 1 package of yeast
has yet to fail me.

:LOL:Oh yeah.......that's one Pi$$ed off kitty...........:w00t2::cat::LOL:

Thanks for the belly laugh.......:ROFLMAO:

AND congrats on the beautiful bread.....I'm inspired enough to actually try it.

Last edited:
yeah. Pretty much every book I have read regarding bread/yeast recommends storing it in an airtight container after breaching the bag it's in.
I refuse to use the packets anymore..was just starting to cost to much with all the pizza and bread I do.
So I switched to a small jar of Red Star and I have a bag of Saf in my freezer right now.
I'll weigh mine out for a great deal of stuff but as time has gone on I've started just measuring.
2 1/4 tsp = 1 package of yeast
has yet to fail me.
I put it in a ziploc bag immediately....but not in the fridge. Hmmm... :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom