Lard vs Crisco for biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I have a recipe for biscuits.. but I have no lard.. can I subsitute crisco shortening instead? anybody know?

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 Tb baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tb lard
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
Directions:

Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl and cut in the lard with a pastry cutter or with two knives until a coarse meal texture is obtained. Add buttermilk and knead lightly but thoroughly. The dough should be soft but not sticky: if it is, add a little more flour. Knead for 1 minute, wrap in foil or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut with a biscuit cutter. (If you don't have one, a drinking glass of the desired diameter will work okay.) Transfer biscuits to a dark baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes

yes you can I use nothing but crisco to make biscuits it will turn out just fine with out the lard :)

IMHO you can substitute anything for the lard - shortening, butter, marg etc.

All you have to do is remember that what ever you use will vary the flavour. Make up half a batch with the different "oils" as an exercise and taste the differences.

Over here, the recipe you have listed is pretty much a basic "Scone" mixture and we use butter and milk. Sometimes even back off the milk and add an egg.

Happy baking....

BTW. I get in real trouble off DW if I 'cut' the butter in, she maintains it is stirring and quotes the old saying - "Stir with a knife, stir up strife". I generally mix it in with my gloved fingers.....

I have quite a few recipes that call for lard and I've always replaced with Crisco. I have not tried the butter flavored, that might be good for biscuits. :)

I made that recipe and didn't really like it.. the biscuits tasted just .... well... " plain " boring won't use that recipe again. The plain old Bisquick recipe is better :)

Hey Debbie, mess with that recipe a bit and it will be just fine. Add a tbsp of sugar, and maybe try butter instead of shortening. I like to toss a few chile flakes in mine if I am making them to go with fried chicken, but leave them plain to go with stew.

LeeAnn said:
I have quite a few recipes that call for lard and I've always replaced with Crisco. I have not tried the butter flavored, that might be good for biscuits. :)

LeeAnn, it's also wonderful for piecrust.

My grandmothers always used Crisco for their buttermilk biscuits. But I'm sure for them it was a modern day convenience food. They both grew up on farms in the South and had to render lard when they were young girls.

Last edited:
I have heard that Crisco is now considered to be bad for you - something to do with transfats. I have also heard they are changing the formula. Have they done this yet? Is Crisco still unhealthy?

Crisco and Lard are interchangeable as far as cooking properties are concerned. Lard will give ou a flakier and crisper product, with a bit more flavor. Crisco is not more healthy, just differently unhealthy.

I saw Ina Gartner using Crisco for a piecrust the other day, and she keeps it refrigerated, so it's nice and cold. Excellent idea, I think.

I use butter in biscuits and 1 C buttermilk. I also make them with only 2T of butter, 1/3 C buttermilk and 2/3 C cream. Try to keep on the damp side. A bit trickier to handle but makes a better biscuit. Very good with homemade strawberry jam and a dollap of whipped cream.

Please read the above link regarding the rise and fall of crisco. For your own health and the health of the people we so lovingly cook for, do not use crisco, margarine, hydrogenated fats, including hydrogentated peanut butters, anything made with cotton seed oil, palm oil, coconut oil. These products are very harmful to our health. Trans fats, artifically hydrogenated saturated products are not good for humans. Please read up on these fats and make your own decisions.

Fats that are okay are butter, olive oil, unsaturated oils, even lard. Lard has a high mono-unsaturated level which is good.

Personally, I use butter, olive oil, and canola oil. I use lard only because I have access to some freshly rendered stuff, not the commercial product.

bethzaring said:
Lard has a high mono-unsaturated level which is good.

Personally, I use butter, olive oil, and canola oil. I use lard only because I have access to some freshly rendered stuff, not the commercial product.

I didn't know that about Lard.. I thought it was a BAD product to use.. worse the Crisco....... soo what do you use for your pie crusts then?

Back
Top Bottom