Leftover Corn Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donmatzkin

Assistant Cook
Made a batch of corn muffins the other day and forgot to serve them. I also have a lot of homemde chicken stock and the leftover chicken from the main meal. I'm looking for a nifty way to combine these three ingredients (with others, of course) to make a one dish meal, casserole, or the like.

Any suggestions?

you could always make a cornbread stuffing. Of you could crumble some and toss with butter to top a casserole.

How about a cornbread salad, using the chicken (tossed with a little dressing of your choice) in place of the usual beans? Or fry up the muffins (cut into crumbly cubes in some bacon fat, place in a glass and top with icy cold buttermilk. Make a chicken salad and freeze the stock for cooler weather. ...not that it is hot and humid here in northern Middle Tennessee today or anything, LOL..

Made a batch of corn muffins the other day and forgot to serve them. I also have a lot of homemde chicken stock and the leftover chicken from the main meal. I'm looking for a nifty way to combine these three ingredients (with others, of course) to make a one dish meal, casserole, or the like.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to DC.

Josie

I agree with the casserole idea. Cut up the chicken, add some chicken stock or a can of chicken soup. Add water to thin the soup a little. Throw in some veggies and top with crumbled muffins. Dot with butter (or not). Complete meal in minutes.

another good one is to stuff shrimp...

save 2 corn muffins in the freezer, then when ready..

thaw then crush the muffins.

fry a 1/2 onion , garlic and parsley, with just a bit of chopped ham at the end...anything else you like..

Then Butterfly some shrimps about 1 lb large, lay them in a small pan.. I never take the time to actually Stuff them, just dump the stuffing on top with a bunch of chunks of butter on top..

cook in 350 oven till done, about 10 min.

here's the original recipe, but I left out the crab and just subbed ham..

Death-Defying Stuffed Shrimp with Tasso Ham and Crab Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Very good! Eric, Austin Tx.

Crumbled and buttered leftover cornbread makes a delicious casserole topping. I like to use it when making tamale pie casserole.

Or, cubed as a filler for a tex/mex flavored meatloaf.

Thanks

Thank you, all who responded to my query. This was my first entry to the site, so I don't know if I am doing this correctly.

I now realize that, if I expect help with a meal that I intend to prepare that day, I need to act sooner in order to receive timely replies and to acquire ingredients that are not in the house. As you may have surmised, I am a newcomer to the cooking game, having taken over the kitchen last August after my wife had surgery that immobilized her for a few months, and I never gave it back to her. What is basic to most cooks is new to me.

I wound up doing a more or less traditional cornbread stuffing with a whole lot of shredded chicken that had been rotisseried. I sauteed a chopped onion and a half along with about two cups of chopped celery until they were just soft and added this to the shredded chicken and crumbled corn muffins in a large mixing bowl. I mixed in the broth until the mix appeared to be moist enough to stand up to baking, about two cups. I put the whole assembly into a 9x14 glass baking pan and, just for fun, sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over it. I baked it at 350 for about twenty minutes, until it appeared to acquire a crust. I used the rest of the stock to make a gravy, and served the dish with customized, deli potato salad from Sunday's picnic, a small green salad and canned cranberry sauce.

It was terrific. At least I thought so and my wife seemed to agree not just to be nice. Detail: It should have been more moist - when adding the broth I was afraid of making it too mushy; there wasn't enough crumbled corn muffin for the amount of chicken; the Old Bay seemed to be inconsequential at the amount I used, although I think it added a touch of zest, if only subliminally.

Thanks again for your help.

Your stuffing casserole sounds great. Looks like you're enjoying your kitchen duties.

Back
Top Bottom