Loveless Cafe biscuit recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just at the Loveless last week and ate there five times, because it was so incredibly good! One thing I noticed, is that you can purchase the biscuit mix in their 'Jams and Hams' Country store. You can also purchase it on their online store. Check out 'hamsandjams' Sorry, this site won't let me link to it.

Not the same, but close!

one of the secrets to soft, high-rising biscuits that i've found out over the years is to use as much milk as possible and still be able to handle the dough. i typically use up to about 1/2 the amount of flour, say 2 cups milk to 4 cups flour. also, kneading is a no-no. it develops the gluten, which is what you want to avoid. once you add the milk, work the dough as little as possible, just like a pie crust. i use all-purpose flour, but using cake flour will give you much lighter and delicate biscuits. using well-rounded (not level) spoons of baking powder helps. i also use butter for flavor, not crisco, margarine, or lard. however, i've always used butter, so i couldn't say whether butter or one of the others makes a softer biscuit or not. but much tastier, for sure. don't cut in the shortening too finely.

personally, i prefer flakey biscuits to crumbly ones. so what i do is pat out the dough into about an inch or better thick round, cut it into quarters, pile these on top of each other, press this down and do this 1 more time, to make a total of 8 layers. this is rolled out as thick as possible for my cutter to handle, well over a half inch. maybe an inch or so. cut them out and get them into a really hot oven (425˚?) as deftly as possible.

;)

Loveless biscuits

I've had the pleasure of eating these biscuits and they truly are divine--somehow so buttery and melt-in-your mouth but also light. I can't imagine oil being the fat. It must be lard or butter.

I own the Loveless cookbook but no biscuit recipe :( I want to make these at home! Waits to get into the cafe are typically an hour and a half!

I am so appreciative of those that have followed this quest of mine.
Gotten so much help from reading all the info here from about the
last few posts that I didn't existed.
Thank you for taking time to help me.
I will say UB's idea was such a nice touch and hubby asked again and again for them.
But mouth totally shut, you'll have to hound UB about his biscuits as my lips have been and will be sealed, I don't break promises with family cooking info.

Thanks again to you all.............
Happy biscuit making............
Oh and Nashville Sally, my husband took me to Loveless for 5 meals when we were there on ?holiday? twice, it is deeeevine :)

Oh, and I did find White Lily Flour and have 4 big bags of it. It is like silk.
But had to do a trip to Washington DC and specialty markets to find those
5 of their last bags.:ohmy:

Loveless Biscuits Secrets from the FN Show

They just won an award for the best biscuits, they showed them mixing them up, they use White Lily Self-Rising Flour, Real Buttermilk and melted lard. He said they mix it up and let it set overnight and let it set the next day,then make biscuits. They brush them with butter before and after baking. Bake them for 15 min or so. That's all he would share. Some where I read they used Martha White Self-Rising flour also and that they let the biscuits set about 30 minutes before baking them.

I'm thinking it is an Angel Biscuit by the looks of the dough. :chef:

Angel Biscuit recipe

Angel Biscuits
1 pkg Active Dry Yeast
4T warm water
5 c flour
1/2 c and 2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 c shortening
2 c buttermilk
Dissolve yeast in warm water. In another bowl sift: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening, Stir in the yeast and buttermilk.Cover and place in refrigerator overnight. Roll out dough on floured counter about 1/2 inch. Cut and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Let rise until doubled.Bake at 400* for 10-20 minutes.
Dough will keep in the refrigerator for several days,but allow biscuits to rise before baking.
* I like to brush them with butter after baking.

I might try this one with melted lard instead of shortening to see what happens!!!!:chef:

I use Boogangles recipe for biscuits. Recipe has cream of tartar. Biscuits are great.

The little brown headed girl that followed me home from school 40++ years ago....:ermm: Yep, she's still here...Anyway, she made these biscuits this morning....Good thing i had lots of Sawmill Gravy to go on top to weight them down...else they would have floated to the ceiling.....;)

Back
Top Bottom