Made Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
Well took the plunge, found a very basic recipe in one of cook books and made some cornbread.

This was made from corn meal, plain flour, baking powder, salt, egg, melted butter and buttermilk.

The result - it was OK (I never remember to take pics). I'm now ready to experiment with some other flavourings - I want to try bacon fat (or the duck fat I have in the fridge) and some herbs - possibly oregano and develop the flavour a bit to make it more interesting.

The reviews - YS didn't like it plain but was good dipped in the chilli. OS was sort of teenage grunt OK.

I made one with bacon and jalapenos once, and a little onion..... browned them in the CI skillet and left them there, poured in the batter and baked.
I should do that again. It was VERY good!

Sorry Suzi, you beat me to the punch on the jalepenos. Oh, I have also added whole kernal corn for some nice texture and added corn flavour!

Thanks for the advice - I need to take it easy on the chillis - rest of family not that keen and youngest does not like sweet corn so I won't put that in.

When I bake my cornbread I always use a cast iron skillet. I put about 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet and then put the skillet in the oven while the oven preheats. When the batter's ready, I pour it into the hot skillet with the melted bacon fat. Real tasty.

As far as variations, I have tons.

Sometimes I'll add a cup of frozen whole kernel corn, thawed, to the batter. I've also used drained canned corn and fresh corn.

Other times, I'll include a can of green chilies, drained, and some chili powder.

I've also put in chopped green onions and shredded Cheddar cheese. The list goes on.

I always use buttermilk.

If I'm really lazy or don't want to heat up the kitchen with the oven, I'll heat up my cast iron griddle, grease it up really good with bacon fat, and ladle the batter like pancakes. Cook and flip. That was one of Buck's favorite ways to have cornbread...corncakes. He even liked them with butter and syrup for breakfast, regardless of the variation I'd made.

Katie I made that for the kids last week for dinner....
Nothing in the cupboard but cornmeal, only veg in the freezer was corn....
That was a big hit!!!!
Either that or the sour cream was.....

If I'm really lazy or don't want to heat up the kitchen with the oven, I'll heat up my cast iron griddle, grease it up really good with bacon fat, and ladle the batter like pancakes. Cook and flip. That was one of Buck's favorite ways to have cornbread...corncakes.

I love cornbread, but corncakes are amazingly fantastic!!

miniman, you ought to try those! (and yes, bacon fat is a must! :pig:)

If I'm really lazy or don't want to heat up the kitchen with the oven, I'll heat up my cast iron griddle, grease it up really good with bacon fat, and ladle the batter like pancakes. Cook and flip. That was one of Buck's favorite ways to have cornbread...corncakes. He even liked them with butter and syrup for breakfast, regardless of the variation I'd made.

Thanks for the dinner Idea for tonight :)

I always put sugar in mine but otherwise recipe just like yours. Try breaking some up in a glass of milk and eating it (and drinking the milk). YUM!

Yes, definitely add sugar to it. I also like diced jalapeño peppers in it. They don't make it hot, just a little spiced. The peppers get sweet as they bake.

Personally, I just use boxed corn muffin mix. It's tough to beat.

I love cornbread, but corncakes are amazingly fantastic!!

miniman, you ought to try those! (and yes, bacon fat is a must! :pig:)

YES!!! the crispy outsides.... yummy. Thanks I am going camping this weekend. Now I know what I am having for breakfast......

put sugar in it... they'll swoon!

I`m not quite sure where, but there is a thread on here somewhere when I asked about cornbread making without using anything sweet in it as I don`t generally like to mix sweet with savory.
Uncle Bob suggested that I try it, but like yourself said it`s better with sweet in it.
so I tried it plain, and although it was very nice, the aroma of it was fantastic but it seemed to be missing something, it needed a "Sweet" element to it, it really did and he was perfectly right.
and it`s not at all strange tasting as I imagined it would be :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom