"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
So, substitute yogurt for the baking powder? I can do that!

My problem is that I can't use any refined sugar. That being said, what I am really looking for is just something sweet to add that is not refined. I also thought dates might be a good idea?

I really do appreciate your feedback, if you couldn't tell already, I am not very good at baking.

Thanks
The yogurt would be a substitute for another liquid in the recipe, and I'm not seeing much in the way of liquids in this recipe. Did the original recipe call for milk? The yogurt/buttermilk works with the baking soda as a leavening agent.

If you can not eat refined sugars, what do you eat for your bread products?

Dark chocolate will contain refined sugar.

Yes, you can add dates, I would chop them up and dust with flour before you incorporate them into the batter.

Have you tried to make the muffins yet?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I haven't tried to make them yet. This is for Friday night.

It's not that I can't have refined sugar, it's just off my diet (has been for quiet some time). I allow dark chocolate. :)

And I don't eat very much break either.

Okay back to, no the original recipe did not call for milk but maybe I should add?

I just do not want to add white sugar/brown sugar or oil and still make muffins.

For the yogurt, how much do you think? Thank you so much for your help on this...more and more obvious that I am not a baker! (or cook for that matter) I am TRYING.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

standard whole wheat muffin recipes call for 2 cups ww flour, 1 cup yogurt/buttermilk and 3 T. oil. So I would suggest 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 1/2 T. applesauce, along with the one egg. And maybe 1/4 cup chopped dates if you are only using 1 cup ww flour. Try your recipe with no other added sweetener (no honey). Using honey in baking presents a whole nuther set of challanges. I am an experienced baker and gave up on trying to use honey in baking. And when I understood that the body can not tell if its glucose in food came from honey, apples, molasses, white sugar, brown sugar, or what ever, I happily went back to using white sugar in baking.