Monkey Bites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I found a recipe in one of my mother's old community cookbooks for muffins made with ripe banana, crushed pineapple, pieces of firm banana, chocolate chips and nuts. The recipe had quantities like 1/3 bag of chocolate chips, 1 bag of walnuts, etc., very little instructions and no times or oven temp but I was intrigued by it. I have worked on it over the past few years and this is what I have come up with. It is a really moist muffin that must be refrigerated and freezes very well.

Monkey Bites
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 firm (slightly under-ripe) bananas, chunked
1 14 oz. can crushed pineapple, with juice
2 cups chocolate chunks (you can use semi-sweet chips)
2 cups pecans, broken into large pieces
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease 2 12-cup muffin tins.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and oil. Add eggs and whisk well. Add mashed bananas and pineapple (including juice) and with wooden spoon mix well. Add chopped banana, chocolate and nuts.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir dry ingredients into wet all at once just until well blended. Do not overmix.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans (I use an ice cream scoop). It is okay to slightly mound batter in cups as it does not rise or spread a lot. I sometimes get up to 28 muffins out of the batter. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned and top springs back when touched.

Attachments

• MonkeyBiteMuffinsA.jpg
    MonkeyBiteMuffinsA.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 231
Oh that sounds good! I really like the idea of the chopped banana along with the mashed. I wonder if I can use fresh pineapple and just run it through the food processor to crush it?

You could try it Karen, but it really needs the juice as well. The first time I made it I drained the pineapple (remember the recipe gave few details) and they were hard as rocks. Let me know how it turns out because I love using fresh ingredients in my baking!

I think that it would be really juicy if the pineapple is nice and ripe...I'll try it and let you know. They don't sell crushed pineapple in cans here and the canned pineapple they do sell is not very good - not very well trimmed. Fortunately, there is always lots of fresh pineapple.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom