A few words to begin.
I use wheat germ in most of my breads (quick breads, biscuits, waffles, pancakes, pie crusts etc.) Mom did it so I do. LOL I think it adds a nice nutty flavor. You can leave it out if you want but that nice flavor will be missing. Replace wheat germ with equal amount of flour. (read tip 1)
I have tried LOTS of flours and I found that I like to use a combination of flours. But you can go straight AP flour if you wish. (read tip 2)
If you use sugar substitute find one that will not effect the end product. Most sugar subs are cup for cup but very fine which changes the density of a cake. I use Ideal brand, it bakes, looks and tastes like sugar. (read tip 3)
Lastly You can substitute orange juice for the tangerine if you wish. I like the tang of the tangerine juice. (I have not tried this but you can probably substitute frozen concentrate and water for the fresh juice)
Sorry for all the words but I have played with this recipe a lot and you can change things around and make this recipe to suit your tastes.
I hope you enjoy.
Ms. Mofet's Cranberry, Tangerine Nut Bread
(See tips below)
- 2 cups whole wheat (or white whole wheat) flour MINUS 2 TBSP*
- 1/2 cup unbleached AP flour**
- 2 TBSP wheat germ*
- 1 cup granulated white sugar or sugar substitute (***or 1/2 sugar & 1/2 sugar substitute)
TIP 1: *
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 TBSP tangerine zest (about 1 medium )
- 4 TBSP cold unsalted butter - cut into cubes
Measure the wheat germ into the 1 cup measure cup then fill with flour.
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE THE WHEAT GERM REPLACE WITH 2 TBSP FLOUR
TIP 2: **
I like this combo of flours - 1/2 cup unbleached AP flour, 1/2 cup Almond meal/flour, 1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour, 1 cup White Whole Wheat flour MINUS 2 TBSP, and the 2 TBSP wheat germ.
TIP 3: ***
If you use sugar substitute use one that is equal cup for cup. I use Ideal brand because it won't effect the volume and density of finished product like other substitutes.
- 1 large egg well beaten
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice (about 3 medium)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans - coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries - coarsely chopped
- 3 TBSP slivered almonds - coarsely chopped if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with Baker's Joy vegetable oil & flour cooking spray (or grease and flour pan).
- In a small bowl combine wet ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ (if used), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest.
- Cut the butter into flour with a pastry blender till it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in the chopped cranberries, almonds and pecans.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely before slicing.
May double recipe and divide into 2 loaf pans
For Cupcakes/Muffins 12 to the pan:
Keep oven temp the same, fill cups only 3/4 full, bake 15 - 20 minutes.
Center internal temperature for bread or muffins should be 190°F