My Biscuits Stink!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I was the only one that couldn't make a biscuit to save my soul! A friend once told me that either you're born with the knack or you buy the ones in the can for the rest of your life. :LOL:I have some hope now with all the suggestions here!

What about using Bisquick? Has anyone tried using this?
I've never tried busciuts, but that's what mom used, just mixing in the milk. No other ingredients needed.

I once spent an afternoon learning how to bake biscuits with a nice Kentucky lady. I don't have the recipe with me, but I know it uses buttermilk, and oil, instead of shortening or lard.

Malva didn't roll her biscuits out--instead, she floured her hands, grabbed a quarter cup or so of dough, and patted it into shape. She brushed the top of each biscuit with melted butter, and baked them in a hot oven for 10 minutes. At that point, they were done, but not brown, so she turned the broiler on to brown the tops.

At this point, she said, "Now, honey, when you turn that broiler on, your only job is to watch the biscuits. Let the baby cry, let the dog bark, just keep your eye on them biscuits." Because, as I found out for myself, it is a short step from toasty brown to charcoal.

If you bake them til they are brown, they are often dry--the little bit of broiling at the end lets you have brown biscuits with moist middles.

My older son thinks no meal is complete without biscuits and gravy--he wasn't born in Kentucky, but he spent his formative years there.

I will show you some of my biscuits , if you are interested for some of it , I can share with you the recipes!!I think also that there is something wrong with you oven temperature.

There is also a recipe for the anise biscotti,very yummy!!!
url=http://www.0zz0.com]
899393814.jpg
[/url]

I am ready for the recipe, but just tell me if you are interested.
see you!!
http://www.chahirakitchen.blogspot.com/
مطبخ شهيرة الخبيرة!!!!
chahira daoud's blog | The Fresh Loaf
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/my-egyptian-borek-recipe-52062.html

What about using Bisquick? Has anyone tried using this?
I've never tried busciuts, but that's what mom used, just mixing in the milk. No other ingredients needed.

I never cared for Bisquick, but I did get a box of Pioneer... like you said, just add milk and you are good to go!

Oh Goodie! I think that I can help here. Go the the King Arthur Flour website and order Bakewell Creme. Follow the recipie on the can and you will get rave reviews on your biscuits. I did.

AC

Chahira, your "biscuits" look most delicious, but here in the states, we would call those "cookies". "Biscuits" here are like scones--made without sugar, usually, and leavened with baking powder.

I have followed this thread faithfully by keeping my mouth shut and my eyes open, hoping to learn something new. What did I learn about biscuits from y'all? I learned that nobody can beat good old Bob Evans, and I can get them fresh anytime they are open. Sorry, but it doesn't pay to try and make these wonderful biscuits for one or two people when biscuit heaven is just down the street.:LOL:

Chahira, your "biscuits" look most delicious, but here in the states, we would call those "cookies". "Biscuits" here are like scones--made without sugar, usually, and leavened with baking powder.
Thank you dear!!
I am feeling sooo stupid now!!!
I have to try this kind of biscuits, thank you for telling me!!!
you are so sweet!

Biscuits need to cook in a hot (450 degree) oven. If uncertain about your oven, check the temperature with a thermometer. Cook on the center rack (or the the next one above it). If your rack is too high or too low, either the tops or the bottoms are likely to burn before they're done.

Here's my recipe. I originally posted this recipe several years ago on allrecipes and it has since become one of their top-rated recipes. If interested, the comments and ratings are on allrecipes.com, under the title South Georgia Biscuits. Their editors slightly modified my recipe, without my permission. It annoyed me and I've never submitted to them again. This is the original version I submitted to them. The modified version on allrecipies calls for kneeding the dough, which is an unnecessary step and produces an inferior result.

South Georgia Biscuits

These are traditional hand-formed biscuits as made by my family for generations. Unlike most recipes, they are formed entirely by hand, not rolled and cut. Once you master the technique, you can make them very quickly and will find the texture and appearance to be much better than rolled biscuits.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortning
1 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, stir dry ingredients together. Cut in shortning with a pastry blender or by rubbing between your fingers until the mixture resembles course meal. Pour in the milk all at once and stir with a lagre spoon until the dough is evenly moist. It should be sticky. Let it rest for a couple of minutes. No kneeding or turning the dough is necessary. You do this as part of forming the biscuits.

With well-floured hands, pinch off pieces of dough (about 12), and roll them into balls between the palms of your hands. This is also the kneeding process so you need to work the dough a little, not just spoon it out in lumps. If the dough is too sticky to work, sprinkle a little more flour on it but you want to keep it as sticky as possible to produce a light, moist biscuit. Place the balls a couple of inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. With floured knuckles, press each ball down to about 1/2 inch thickness.

Bake on the center rack of your oven at 450 degrees for 11 to 12 minutes, until browned. Serve hot with butter.

NOTES: Stale baking powder won't rise. Be sure you use fresh, in-date baking powder. If using self-rising flour, omit the baking powder and salt. To make buttermilk biscuits, add 1/4 tsp baking soda to the other dry ingredients. Buttermilk will make a sticker dough and you may need to sprinkle a little more flour on the dough as you're forming the biscuits. Some people like their biscuits sweet instead of salty. If you're one of them, reduce the salt a little and add some sugar.

Oh, Chahira, I didn't mean to make you feel stupid--I am sorry.

Your biscuits look exquisite--wish you lived next door!!

Do try our kind of biscuits. They are best with some kind of gravy, I think, though some folks like them with butter and fruit preserves, or with honey or cane syrup.

Thank you dear!!
I am feeling sooo stupid now!!!
I have to try this kind of biscuits, thank you for telling me!!!
you are so sweet!

No need to feel stupid... heck, a biscuit is a biscuit right????

JoeV... only if heaven was down the street from me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom