My favorite banana bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Being a collector of cookbooks, this one I've had for a hundred years. It's called The Happy Cook. It seems to be one of those Chamber of Commerce type cookbooks.
This recipe is from a lady who's last name is Allsgood.
I just noticed her name and think it's appropo for this wonderful easy tasty banana bread that I've been making for about 30 years.

A client of mine wanted to borrow a cookbook to get ideas for appetizers for a party she was soon to have. She mentioned this while I was cutting her hair one day. I'd remembered several good sounding appetizers/tappa's from reading this one over and over so I told her if she promised not to lose it, I'd let her borrow it [for a couple of days] to check out those recipes. She had it for months, literally months. It's the very cookbook this banana bread recipe lives in. I was panicked, called her [again] asking for it, and told her " I was coming to her house toda , to get it". That's just what I did, never lent a cookbook again.

I do deviate from it a bit as my love doesn't care for nuts and the sugar called for is too much so I lessen that too, plus as you'll see, it calls for margarine but I use oil, don't like the consistency of margarine but do use same amount of canola oil. Today, I tossed in 2 T corn meal, just "because" I could...
But it's otherwise as follows:

Banana Bread
1 loaf pan, buttered and cinnamoned sugared.
350 oven 40 minutes

1/2 cup margarine
1 t soda
1 t baking powder
pinch salt
1 c sugar
1/2 c chopped nuts
1 1/2 c flour
2 eggs
3-4 mashed ripe bananas

Mix marg/eggs/sugar/then add dry ingreds that you've sifted together. Mix in your mixer, then add your bananas and nuts. Pour into a prepared loaf pan [after I butter the loaf, I put cinnamon sugar in there and toss it around.
Add the batter, cinnamon sugar on top of it before baking.
Let cool before slicing since it's very moist.

*No where on this cookbook is a copyright.
Still and all, I changed the name of it by omitting a word and the spelling of the recipe originators name, just in case.
Plus, as I mentioned, the way I make this is now my recipe as I don't follow this one to the rule.

It's always gotten very pleasant remarks when it's been eaten by folks that have come over, so for that reason, I'm sharing with you.

I love the idea of using sugar and cinnamon on the pan! Yummy.

I always use sugar on my cake pans instead of flour but had never thought of adding cinnamon. Thank you!

Oh I know about the walnuts, but like I say, the husband doesn't care for nuts in this or any quick bread so I omit.
I had to have the first little tiny slice to make sure it was good and I love what the addition of the corn meal did to it, just punched it up/added a bite to it a bit.

Hey Laurie, just remember to add the corn meal if you do, it's a fun little bit of something different, not to the flavor, but adds a bit of the smallest little bite to it that's unexpected.

LEFSElover....yum! My son & I are enjoying pieces of your banana bread right now. We substituted dark chocolate chips instead of nuts because we love chocolate!! Thanks for the recipe!!;)

Yum! Loves walnuts in it but once had it with peanut butter chips and chocolate chips in it instead. Was interesting.
Thanks for the recipe!

Being a collector of cookbooks, this one I've had for a hundred years. It's called The Happy Cook. It seems to be one of those Chamber of Commerce type cookbooks.
This recipe is from a lady who's last name is Allsgood.
I just noticed her name and think it's appropo for this wonderful easy tasty banana bread that I've been making for about 30 years.

A client of mine wanted to borrow a cookbook to get ideas for appetizers for a party she was soon to have. She mentioned this while I was cutting her hair one day. I'd remembered several good sounding appetizers/tappa's from reading this one over and over so I told her if she promised not to lose it, I'd let her borrow it [for a couple of days] to check out those recipes. She had it for months, literally months. It's the very cookbook this banana bread recipe lives in. I was panicked, called her [again] asking for it, and told her " I was coming to her house toda , to get it". That's just what I did, never lent a cookbook again.

I do deviate from it a bit as my love doesn't care for nuts and the sugar called for is too much so I lessen that too, plus as you'll see, it calls for margarine but I use oil, don't like the consistency of margarine but do use same amount of canola oil. Today, I tossed in 2 T corn meal, just "because" I could...
But it's otherwise as follows:

Banana Bread
1 loaf pan, buttered and cinnamoned sugared.
350 oven 40 minutes

1/2 cup margarine
1 t soda
1 t baking powder
pinch salt
1 c sugar
1/2 c chopped nuts
1 1/2 c flour
2 eggs
3-4 mashed ripe bananas

Mix marg/eggs/sugar/then add dry ingreds that you've sifted together. Mix in your mixer, then add your bananas and nuts. Pour into a prepared loaf pan [after I butter the loaf, I put cinnamon sugar in there and toss it around.
Add the batter, cinnamon sugar on top of it before baking.
Let cool before slicing since it's very moist.

*No where on this cookbook is a copyright.
Still and all, I changed the name of it by omitting a word and the spelling of the recipe originators name, just in case.
Plus, as I mentioned, the way I make this is now my recipe as I don't follow this one to the rule.

It's always gotten very pleasant remarks when it's been eaten by folks that have come over, so for that reason, I'm sharing with you.

Hi

I made this banana bread yesterday and it is delicious... so moist. However, I made the mistake of adding a cup of nuts and not half a cup as the recipe indicated, but the loaf still tastes good.

I also used the canola oil instead of marge / butter.

Thanks for a super recipe :)

Hi...I made this banana bread yesterday and it is delicious... so moist. However, I made the mistake of adding a cup of nuts and not half a cup as the recipe indicated, but the loaf still tastes good.
I also used the canola oil instead of marge / butter.
Thanks for a super recipe :)
Good Job Sheila. I have used this recipe so many times and once in a while have used marg instead of oil. Much much moister with oil instead of the margarine though. Really. I love nuts and think it gives this bread a new dimension but some times you just gotta leave something/recipe well enough alone.
So glad you enjoyed it. Do you freeze your ugly looking bananas for future use in banana breads? I do............they get all brown and fugly but who cares, they're more sugery that way I think.........:-p

Back
Top Bottom