"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 07-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

My quest for the ultimate buttermilk biscuits!

I have just completed a journey for the ultimate buttermilk biscuits! It all started when my boyfriend wanted me to make him some. I thought that is easy enough right? definitely wrong. The thing with these little devils is that they deceive...there isn't many ingredients but it is still really complicated. I started with a recipe with Crisco and they were hard and small..."wheaty" as my boyfriend described them.

Then I discovered through my grandmother that her mother's recipe was "two handfuls of flour and a handful of lard." She added that her mother had large hands so I should double it! :D I tried the same recipe as before but with lard and made the biscuits larger so they would be fluffier. My boyfriend Hans and I even went as far to visit our favorite breakfast spot Biscuit Kitchen and do some spy work! We asked the young boy behind the counter how they cooked theirs.

To end my quest I bought a disgustingly huge thing of lard and made my biscuits! They turned out perfect.

Here is my recipe:
2 cups of self-rising flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup lard
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add the lard to the bowl and cut in until it resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add buttermilk and work in until "sticky." Make sure not to overwork. Turn out onto floured surface. Instead of rolling it out with a rolling pin try to press out with your fingers. Use your own discretion for the thickness. Cut the biscuits using a floured cutter or a glass. Arrange on cookie sheet. Place in oven. Cook for 10 to 14 minutes or until done.

I hope you enjoyed it
Kerry

Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

This is pretty close to hubbie's grandmas' biscuits, which are heavenly! The only thing I add is about 1/2 tsp baking powder, just to give the self-rising a little more lift.

Also, grandma always, after she had the biscuits on the baking sheet, took a little buttermilk in a dish, dipped her knuckles in it, and 'blessed' each biscuit before she put them in the oven!

Oh - and a really easy way to roll and cut - saves on those scraps, too - just roll the dough out to a rectangle, and with a knife or bench knife, cut the dough into squares - no fuss, no muss!

Old 07-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Oh I love the idea of "blessing" the tops of the biscuits. Grandmas always know best right? :) Do you think i could get even more rise with the baking powder added? That would be fantastic. The journey continues! Thank you for that peice of advice I will definately try it next time.
Kerry
Old 07-14-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing cooklady,

I do tend to make the most grand door stops I'll try you recipe and see if I can finally get a worthy biscuit..
kadesma
Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I love biscuits, tall and fluffy but I can't make a good one to save my life!! Mine come out like hockey pucks but then again, I'm a New Yorker. I will try your recipe for sure. BTW, lard makes the best pie crust. It's all my mother ever used for hers and it's what I use.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Great recipe, and I especially enjoyed the story behind it! Your boyfriend must be so proud of you!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you for all the compliments I am just blown away! This is really the nicest cooking forum on the web! My boyfriend is on that guitar forum and they definitely act like little boys fighting over their toys! They argue all the time its usually pretty funny but whom ever they decide to sink their teeth I am sure end up feeling pretty hurt. Everyone here is talking about a mutual interest and does it with a lot of kindness.

Thank you again for all your comments and suggestions!

IF anyone has anymore keep em coming and if anyone has a great recipes for cinnamon biscuits I would love to have them!

Kerry
Old 07-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

They really sound good!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

this is the best forum, kerry.
i want to try these. i don't usually bake but i could really go for some biscuits and sausage gravy.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
Master Chef

Lard makes the best bisquits and the best pie crust! Second best is Butter Flavored Crisco.
I used to keep sourdough for my bisquits and pancakes, and were they ever good!
I never thought I'd see the day I'd feed my family a canned biscuit, but time has a way of playing tricks on us.