Napoli: Capri Chocolate Torte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Good Morning,

Not too long ago, many rural homes in Campania, in southern Italia, did not have stoves with ovens. Thus, it was impossible to bake desserts.
For special occasions, pastries were prepared at home and then taken to communal ovens for the baking.

Today, even the most remote hamlets or villages, have stoves with ovens.

Napoli and Port of Ischia are known for their Breakfast Cinammon Fritters or Zeppole, Sfinigi or Sfinci, which are classic fritters made from Bignè or a cream puff dough and their chocolate cakes.

This Port of Call, Ischia is situated across the Bay from Napoli. In classical times, visitors and residents of Napoli, came to Ischia for their natural healthful spring waters.

This torte hails from CHIAIA, a stunning Bakery located on the dock where the ferries are ...

:chef: chocolate capri torte

1 1/2 cups walnuts ( 7 oz. )
1/3 cup all purpose flour
8 ounces or 1 stick unsalted butter
8 ounces of bittersweet or semi bittersweet chocolate chopped
a few tblsps of sugar ( to taste )
7 large eggs separated at room temperature
powdered sugar

1. position rack in centre of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees farenheit
2. butter a 9 inch diameter springform pan with 3 inch high sides
3. line bottom with wax paper round
4. finely grind walnuts with flour in food processor and set aside
5. stir the chocolate of selection in top of a double boiler over simmering water ( slow low flame ) until melted and smooth.
6. remove chocolate from over water and let cool
7. using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
8. beat in melted chocolate and add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition
9. continue beating until smooth and light - 3 mins.
10. mix in ground walnut & flour mixture
11. using electric mixer fitted with clean dry beaters, beat the whites in another large bowl until beginning to form soft peaks
12. gradually add remaining sugar and beat to soft peaks
13. stir 1/4 of the whites into batter and lighten and fold in remaining whites
14. pour batter into prepared pan
15. bake until tester inserted into the centre comes out with some crumbs attached about 40 mins.
16. cool cake in pan on rack 10 mins.
17. run sharp knife around the pan sides to loosen cake
18. release pan sides and cool cake completely
19. then, transfer cake to a cake platter and sift powdered sugar over the top
20. slice into wedges and serve with Espresso or Cappucchino on Ice or Hot and a Cordial of Choice

Enjoy, :)

Margaux Cintrano.

BUONISSIMA!!!

I love chocolate. My only problem here is that I HATE powdered sugar, but this can be easily fixed substituting with some crunchy, fine grain sugar!

Thanks Margi :yum:

Buongiorno Luca,

What a pleasant surprise. Sounds like a fine alternative to go with a crunchy sugar glaze verses a powdered dusty variety ... I shall give this a try !

Grazie, Ciao.
Margi.

Tax Lady,

Go ahead and just blame Margi ! Discipline is key to success ... Here are some suggestions: I take a walk after dinner nightly and am member of the Health Club - Gym ...

Tax Lady: Another one of My solutions; have a 1/2 piece and share with friends and / or family !

I have found, eating a piece of cake in the early morning with my Espresso is like Petrol ... and I never have any weight gain. I do not eat sweets at night, except at weekend or special occasions.

Thanks for compliment ...

Margi.

Last edited:
Buonasera Luca,

Do you use a deep dark brown sugar or a light colored amber brown sugar for the glaze ?

The other thing, I meant to mention is that one can take a paint brush to glaze the sugar, with a sketch of the Isle of Capri.

Another decorative item can be Edible Precious Metals, gold or silver papers, which are very commonly used by the Michelin Chefs and Pastry Makers, Bakeries and Chocolatiers ...
They are gorgeous and placed on a dessert with tweezers !

This treatment dates back to the Moghul Kings of Pakistan and the Persian Empire in which they employed Cholesterol Lowering Metal Foils to decorate their dishes.

www.orocomestible.com

Grazie, Ciao.
Margi.

Last edited:
Buonasera Luca,

Do you use a deep dark brown sugar or a light colored amber brown sugar for the glaze ?

Margi, I never used them, but for this torta caprese I'll go with the light colored one, it should stand out more brightly on the chocolate

Another decorative item can be Edible Precious Metals, gold or silver papers, which are very commonly used by the Michelin Chefs and Pastry Makers, Bakeries and Chocolatiers ...
They are gorgeous and placed on a dessert with tweezers !

Have you ever used this gold and silver things? I took a look around and they are not so expensive as I supposed.

Ciao, Luca

Buonasera Luca,

I have made Chocolate Truffle Bon Bons with a little gold foil " cap "
and I have also placed some " gold sprinkles " on smoked salmon and sashimi for a platter during 31st December ...

They come in 4 different shapes:

Crumbs ( hard to work with and need a tweezer ), powder dust ( for sprinkling), small foils and strips ...

Thanks for feedback and posting.
Grazie, Ciao.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom