"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 03-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoot
'Way to go, Carnivore! Delighted that someone else on this board is baking bread. I was beginning to feelnnely.
Hey Oldcoot, I have a loaf of my onion-dill bread in the oven right now, for tomarrow's birthday lunch at the office along with a big pot of beef stew.

I just don't have the time to experiment so I stick to the recipe books. I do like seeing your post and pictures.

Now if only I can figure out how to post pictures on this site, and get my Digital Camera to download. :x

Old 03-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via MSN to maws
Oldcoot - Only got to see your latest photo now - really looks great!! Milk and egg definitely makes lighter textured breads.
For real yeasty taste I always revert back to sourdough without yeast. Having just started a new plant, I am ready for the cooler months (here) when we'll be using our wood-fired bread/pizza oven outside. There is nothing that beats the whole ritual of making a woodfire, kneading, shaping and baking in the outdoors. Must admit that our summers are far too warm for all this, so the oven has to do.
We also often make "pot breads" in cast-iron Dutch ovens which are placed on burning embers during the bbq - quite a tricky procedure, but one which is worth all the effort.
Wish we can all get together for a weekend-long bread-baking fest!!
Stay well, all. Maws.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
maws,

I saw those kettles on a site yesterday - shipped from Africa. The whole site was very interesting - lots of cast iron things - but I would have to order enough to fill a shipping crate which I think is larger than I would want. I'll have to check into it some more. It also said the tops of these kettles were designed to hold hot embers on top too just for bread baking! I know we talked about this a long time ago - when you first started coming to this site.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #14
Head Chef

We REALLY need a drooling smiley for this site! You are inspiring me!