New way with cornbread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I have to credit Uncle Bob with my inspiration for our cornbread tonight.

I'd planned split pea soup for tonight's dinner and had also decided to make a skillet of cornbread. However, after seeing Uncle Bob's "Cowboy Hash" thread, I changed my mind and went from cornbread to corn cakes on the griddle.

Just as I was about to make the corn cakes, a light bulb went on above my head. Why couldn't I have both?

So, I heavily greased 8 English muffin rings and placed them on my oiled griddle. I filled the rings about halfway up with cornbread batter and turned on the heat. When I noticed there was some cooking "activity," I ran a sharp knife around the rings, removed the rings and flipped the cornbread muffins. Let them cook a few minutes longer.

Whoulda' guessed? I ended up with cornbread "English" muffins. Buck and I ate several for dinner. We'll toast the rest up for breakfast in the future.

Nice thing about this method is that I got cornbread without heating up the oven and did it in less time than it took to preheat the oven.

Oh, by the way, if you don't have English muffin rings, you can use empty small water chestnut or pineapple cans with both the top and bottom removed. Just fill them about 1/4 to 1/3 full.

Last edited:
Another tasty trick, is filling onion rings with the cornbread batter. Peel and slice the rings, pour the batter into each 1/2" wide ring, and cook on each side in a skillet. I saved and tried it awhile back, but the pic is no longer available. Will see if I can post it from my MasterCook Program.

Cornbread-Filled Onion Rings

Last edited:
This sounds simple and easy. I was thinking of muffins instead of cornbread next time but may try this instead.

Back
Top Bottom