Non-dairy cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a good recipe for corn bread without any dairy as I am strictly koshed and we do not eat meat and dairy at the same meal and would like to make cornbread for a meal at which Iwould serve meat.

danpeikes...

How about just make your regular cornbread recipe, and subsitute water for the milk/buttermilk. It want be as good, but will work. Sometimes in my area this is called "water bread"

This version is a vegetarian one which consists of flax seed.
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup corn flour
1/4 cup sugar (or less if you'd prefer less sweet)
1/2 soy powder mixed with 1 cup water
flax meal or ground flax seed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil

Mix all ingredients and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

danpeikes...

How about just make your regular cornbread recipe, and subsitute water for the milk/buttermilk. It want be as good, but will work. Sometimes in my area this is called "water bread"
Usually I see recipes that call for buttermilk, wouldn't using water instead throw off the acid/base ration therefore causing it to be to dense?

For the very same reason (as you do) I have been using Coffee Rich frozen kosher, non-dairy coffee creamer to substitute milk. Works really nice. Not sure about buttermilk.

Usually I see recipes that call for buttermilk, wouldn't using water instead throw off the acid/base ration therefore causing it to be to dense?

Good question. It seems when I have made water bread, it is denser, and does not rise as well. I am not a baker, but maybe a little vinegar, say 1 teaspoon may do the trick. I've never done it, but it should work. I've just accepted that water bread is just that way. Maybe give the soy milk/rice milk a try. Hope this helps!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Dan, this is my go-to cornbread recipe. It does say "milk" in the recipe, but I usually use soy milk. That gives the same texture to the finished bread. I like it with all water, too, but some folks find that a bit too "rustic." There is no wheat flour in my recipe.

Cornbread

Makes one 8 x 8-inch pan

3 cups stone ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons unrefined corn oil
2 cups boiling water
1 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
3 teaspoons low-sodium baking powder (Rumford’s)

Heat oven to 425 degrees, F.

Mix the corn meal, salt and oil together.

Pour boiling water over the corn meal mixture and stir until well mixed.

Add the milk to the mixture and set aside to cool, about 40 minutes.

When cool, stir in the egg and baking powder. Pour into a hot, well oiled 8 x 8-inch pan or muffin tins.

Bake in 425 degree F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Eat hot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom