Peach Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAJ

Senior Cook
3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups canned peaches/drained
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon real vanilla

Beat eggs, sugar and oil. Add flour and the remaining dry ingredients. Stir in peaches. Pour into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350* for 50 min. I use the mini square muffin pans for this recipe and they come out perfect every time.

*I used to sell these during peach festival in Romeo, Michigan. I made over 80 dozen in one day.:chef: And, sold them at a local coffee house. They were a big hit. Unfortunately, fresh peaches do not give a good result.

They really are. I sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar on top. I prefer the square muffiin pans for these. A little smaller than a regular muffin. You will like them.

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it. Can you let me know if you chop the peaches up or leave them in slices once you drain them out of the canned liquid.

You can slice them. Best to just half or quarter them depending upon your preference.

Flora's Peach Cream Pie

Speaking of peaches, this recipe has been in my family for a hundred years (or close thereto). We call it Flora B's Peach Cream Pie. The family tradition is to make at least 2-3 of these when we can get the fuzzy peaches (not the smooth ones) inexpensively in MN (usually mid-late August).

It is simple, it is easy to make, and yummy for breakfast <g> (I always make sure there is a piece leftover so I can sneak it for breakfast).

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
3-4 medium peaches, peeled and pitted
3/4 c sugar
3 T flour
~1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
~3/4 c half-and-half cream

Directions:

1. Cut peaches in half. Place cut-side down on the pie crust.
2. Mix sugar, flour, and spices in bowl.
3. Pour sugar mix over peaches.
4. Place pie pan in oven (middle rack).
5. Pour cream over peaches.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 450.
7. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes.

We eat it warm (or cold). You have to refridgerate IF there are any leftovers. Serves 6-8.

If you don't have a pie crust recipe, this is one of the ones my grandmother taught me:

3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 c lard
1/8 c shortening (Crisco)
2-3 T ice cold water (put ice cubes in a glass, add water)
1/2 tsp vinegar

Combine flour and salt. Cut in the shortening. Add the liquid. Stir with fork until a ball forms. Roll out on floured board. We don't put it in the fridge to rest, but I suppose you could.

Last edited:
You're welcome. We didn't share that recipe "forever" and then my mother shared it, so now it is "out there." I grate the nutmeg. I also adjust the sugar/cinnamon/cream to suit to size of the pie pan/crust and the size of the peaches. It is a custard pie--done when the custard is firm (I keep meaning to try making it without the peaches because I really like the cream-sugar-cinnamon combo, but haven't gotten around to that yet). So sometimes it is 35 minutes or so before the pie is done. If it bubbles over, put a cookie sheet or pan on the rack beneath it. We know what it is supposed to look like/jiggle. I can't help you there <g>. It shouldn't be runny.

And Flora was a Bordewich from England, btw. I think you live in England?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom