Post Your Worst Cornbread Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psiguyy

Sous Chef
Yes, I want your poor excuse for cornbread recipes.

Planning to make cornbread dressing and need a dry cornbread recipe. You know the kind I'm talking about. It's the kind that makes you choke when you try to swallow it. I figure that would make the best dressing.

Maybe you can try one of those boxed mixes? Just bake it a little longer than you're supposed to. I've tried them, and they come out quite dry.

Here's one I personally guarantee to rival the Saharan sands. Works great to make dressing from, but has no other use whatsoever! It's the one I use for the same purpose.

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons oil (poured into cast iron pan to preheat, then stirred into batter just prior to baking)

Bake in preheated 450-degree (F) oven for about 20 minutes.

jennyema said:
This thread is hysterical! :eek:

I know. In part, that's why I posted it. The cornbread I make is too moist and rich to make good dressing. Figured there's gotta be people out there who make lousy cornbread. :D

Audeo, thanks for the recipe! Can I use it the same day, or should I leave it out for a period of time?

Dry as the Sahara. Makes you choke when you eat it. Better used for a hockey puck. That's what I was looking for. Figured such a cornbread would make the best dressing.

I've never made cornbread dressing, but I'm seeing so many shows on TV making it that I have to try it. I have a turkey thawing the fridge. I'll do a practice meal next week and test it out.

Psiguyy, there is simply not enough milk on the planet to wash this stuff down! Ironically, the recipe came from the back of a package of cornmeal, but I don't remember what brand. And it makes wonderful cornbread-based dressing. You can use it immediately to make dressing, or leave it out. I can't imagine how the stuff could dry out any more....

Regardless of what recipe you use, just be sure the stuff is good and soupey when you put it in the oven to bake...lots and lots of chicken stock...because this cornbread will soak up many times its own weight in liquid. Darned fine dressing stuff! ;)

Maybe I'll serve some of it to guests who tend to dominate discussions. :twisted:

Here's one I personally guarantee to rival the Saharan sands. Works great to make dressing from, but has no other use whatsoever! It's the one I use for the same purpose.

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons oil (poured into cast iron pan to preheat, then stirred into batter just prior to baking)

Bake in preheated 450-degree (F) oven for about 20 minutes.

I just got through making cornbread using the instructions on Morrison's Corn Meal. The ingredients are:

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons oi

It's exactly the same except for 1/3 cup flour instead of 1/2.

It was a paste, like cake batter, or like spackle.

Now I have to try eating it.

At least I doubled the amount of oil. Should have doubled the liquid, I suspect.

[time passes]

Not quite as bad as I expected, but I did in fact choke on it. I thought it might be too brick-like to eat at all.

Well, live and learn. Morrison's doesn't have this recipe on their site, but they do on the package, and this is part of why a lot of people have a low opinion of cornbread.

Next try for edible cornbread based on that recipe would be a whole stick of butter and 2 cups milk.

Hi Chuck, and welcome to DC. :flowers:

I hope you find a recipe suitable to your tastes. If you do a search, you'll find that cornbread recipes have been a lively topic here. :LOL: It's all a matter of taste and region, and if you're making it for stuffing or a side dish.

Again....welcome.

Last edited:
Just make your normal good cornbread, cut it up into cubes, and let it sit out on the counter overnight to dry.

CD

Years ago, my mother invited a friend of hers from work over for Thanksgiving. She was nice enough to bring a homemade corn bread from a recipe that was passed down from generation to generation, back to when her ancestors were slaves.

No offense to her, or her heritage, and its not that the corn bread tasted bad, it was literally the most dry thing I have ever eaten. It was like saw dust. The first bite got lodged in my ( and everyone else) throat. I couldn't swallow it, I couldn't drink anything that would rehydrate it. I thought I was going to choke to death.

That must have been 35 years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. We still all talk and joke about the time we all almost croaked on Thanksgiving.

Now every time I have cornbread, out of instinct I take the first bite cautiously.

Welcome to the forum, Chuck!

A cornbread that people either love or hate (probably a version of this is what almost killed Larry! lol), is traditional southern cornbread. It is made with white cornmeal (yellow cornmeal is not "pure"), eggs, buttermilk, salt, and just a little baking soda, for leavening, and baked thin. No flour in traditional southern cornbread, or butter, which is why it is often dry, and coarse cornmeal makes it seem even drier. More buttermilk and eggs helps, and sometimes lard or bacon grease is added, but not flour!

I know this is supposed to be our worst cornbread, but I figured I had to tell you why those recipes were so bad!

When I looked at them, I knew the milk, eggs, and oil (which was not in the batter, but for the pan) were not enough for that much CM and flour. It reminds me of many internet recipes I see that I figure were not even tested. I can't believe that a CM company would put it on their container. Were they just trying for a lower cholesterol recipe?

This is the recipe I have been making forever, probably the one Mom got from a Quaker CM container! I haven't made it for a long time, but I can still remember it, and you can see how those recipes turned out dry, as these amounts of eggs, milk, and fat are all for the same amount of CM and flour.

1 1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 c AP flour
4 tsp baking powder (or 2 tsp soda, for buttermilk)
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk, or buttermilk (I always use this)
1/4 c melted butter
2 tsp sugar, or to taste

Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a 9x9 pan, or preheat and grease cast iron pan.

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Make a well, and add the milk and eggs. Whisk them together, and whisk them into the dry ingredients, then whisk in the butter. Add the batter to the pan, and level out. Bake 23-25 min, until a toothpick comes out clean.

An even moister and richer recipe has 1/4 c heavy cream added, another egg, and 1/3 c, instead of 1/4 c butter. This will definitely be moist enough for you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom