"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I forgot about the grease and flour. I always do that even to the so called non-stick pans. Just like I add a bit of grease to a saute' pan.
My pans are pro pans from restaurant supply and are very non-stick, but I always grease and flour so that they will actually stick enough to climb, LOL! My cake pans are uncoated and I either grease and flour the sides or do nothing at all to the sides to help with the climb (I use parchment on the bottom).

I get the same results with my pumpkin bread using foil pans when I am doing large volume baking of pumpkin bread, the grease and flour just makes for a prettier loaf.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thank you all. I'll try again and let yall know.
Thought that baking spray was enough.

A second thought: Where can I get 9" cake pans that are not sloped but
have straight sides.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5WPL
Thank you all. I'll try again and let yall know.
Thought that baking spray was enough.

A second thought: Where can I get 9" cake pans that are not sloped but
have straight sides.
Places like AC Moore, Michael's, craft stores that sell cake decorating supplies usually sell them. The light weight aluminum work quite well (wilton is a popular brand), so don't be fooled by the weight. Bed Bath and Beyond and most other kitchen stores should have them as well, Chicago Metallic, and Calphalon are popular brands. Just look for the pans that don't "nest" inside of each other but rather just sit on top of each other, that's usually a good indication of straight sides.

Amazon is a good place too to find all of these brands as well as a couple of professional brands like Magic Line and Fat Daddios, these are constructed similarly to the Wilton pro pans, but much better quality.

I would suggest both 8" and 9" pans, I use the 8" most often, with most recipes this will produce a nice thick layer. The 9" are good when you have a larger recipe. A cake mix for instance will look a bit thin in a 9" pan.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My pans are pro pans from restaurant supply and are very non-stick, but I always grease and flour so that they will actually stick enough to climb, LOL! My cake pans are uncoated and I either grease and flour the sides or do nothing at all to the sides to help with the climb (I use parchment on the bottom).

I get the same results with my pumpkin bread using foil pans when I am doing large volume baking of pumpkin bread, the grease and flour just makes for a prettier loaf.
I had to bake eight of them for the church fair this year. Grease and flour in those lovely little disposable loaf pans. I remember back in the 60's when Teflon first came out. I couldn't grasp the idea that it was really non-stick. I was making a loaf of bread and used my new non-stick Teflon pan. I still treated it. And everytime there after. I just didn't trust it. And I still don't.

Tags
bread, pumpkin