Pumpkin Bread - not really rising, trying to determine why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordHog

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have an issue with my pumpkin bread not rising that high. It is only rising about 2 inches, but I am thinking it should be about 5-6 inches. Here are the ingredients that I am using.

2 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
17.6 oz Fig Food Organic Ready To Eat Pumpkin Puree
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup packed (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
4 large eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped fine
1 tablespoon of Morefiber (Amazon.com: NuNaturals Morefiber Stevia Baking Blend Powder, 14.11-Ounce: Health & Personal Care)

Direction of sorts,
1) heat the Pumpkin Puree, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves on medium heat for about 5 minutes in a saucepan
2) Mix in the oil and brown sugar
3) Mix the eggs and buttermilk
4) Mix in the eggs/buttermilk blend into the saucepan
5) Whisk the flour, baking powder, and baking soda
6) Mix in the flour mixture into saucepan
7) Mix in the walnuts into the saucepan
8) place batter into two loaf pans (I used 9 x 5)
9) Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes in already preheated oven

Now, when my pumpkin bread comes out, it has risen a bit, but only about two inches. From the picture, it should be about five to six inches high. I did use olive oil instead of vegetable oil and only half of the brown sugar and I used the 1 tablespoon of Morefiber instead of 1 cup of granulated sugar. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.

What might be causing the bread not to rise that much?
Is it the Morefiber instead of the granulated sugar?
Is it Using olive oil instead of vegetable oil?
Is it using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Perhaps something else?

Any help to the reason why is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Hello,
.... I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.

There is your problem. Whole wheat flour is a lot heavier, lot harder to rise. You need less of it, not sure how much less. I'd say start with a cup and a half instead of 2 cups. Also I personally do not like to use baking powder for anything, I prefer baking soda. But alas, stick with recipe for now, try to reduce flour, see if it helps, then you can try some other things. Make sure your flour is not cold. I don't know where you are, some people keep flour in refrigerator. It should be room temp.

First welcome to DC. A fun place to be.

Charlie is right. You need some all purpose flour in there for it to rise properly. And breads such as this needs baking soda, not powder. Any dark flour is going to be heavier than all purpose flour. Also the recipe call for heating ingredients before they are even given a chance to start rising in the oven. You seemed to have altered the recipe quite a bit. Try to make the recipe as it is written first. Then the next time you can play with it. :angel:

Thanks!

CharlieD and Addie,

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I will try using the all-purpose flour for my next try.

I know I should create a separate thread for this, but what is the difference between baking powder and baking soda in terms of baking?

Addie, the recipe does call for heating the puree and other ingredients. The theory is it help help reduce the metallic flavor from canned pumpkin puree. This comes from a certain site with CI in its name. Also, the recipe does call out both baking soda and baking powder. I changed up the oil type, type of flour, and changed out the sugar type. The reminder should be the same.

I was trying to make the pumpkin bread a bit healthier, taking into consideration of a friend, so I was trying the whole wheat. The trial before, I had substituted half of the oil with plain yogurt.

I am just now starting my cooking skills a bit late in life, well that is always relative. So, I have a lot to learn from making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to pumpkin bread that turns out ok.

Thanks to the both of you!!!

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:
From some of the substitutions you made it did sound like you were trying to make it healthy.

The difference between baking soda and baking powder;

Baking powder consists of cream of tartar and baking soda. It can be single actiing or double acting.

Baking soda has no additives. It stands alone.

This explanation is simplified. To find more info

Baking powder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every year I make a bunch of pumpkin breads for the church fair. I usually use fresh pumpkin, but if don't have any and I use canned pumpkin, I don't get any metallic taste from using the canned pumpkin. Whoever wrote that recipe made it more difficult than it needs to be. I make the mini pumpkin breads and can only fill the pans half full as they rise way up over the top. The same when I make a regular size one.

I applaud you for trying as a newbie cook. :angel:

Now your recipe does call for both, the acid in baking powder will activate the baking soda. I prefer to use soda only and add "activater" so to speak my self. I use vinegar. Or rolling boiling water can also be used.

I would like to suggest that you search for a recipe that does not require cooking the ingredients. Then you can compare the difference between the both of them. The taste of the metal from the cans has never been a problem for me. Sometimes peoples taste buds change with age and what they ate as a child and loved, all of a sudden has developed a taste that they can't stand. This may have happened with the author of the recipe that you used. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom