Pumpkin spice muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
Spiced Pumpkin Muffins
From baking better.com

1 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup granulated sugar (or light brown sugar)
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1/3 cup melted butter or oil
2 eggs
¼ cup milk
Preheat oven to 350, and grease a muffin pan with pan spray.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and ground ginger in a
small bowl, whisk to combine.
In a large bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin, butter (or oil), eggs and water. Whisk to
combine thoroughly.
Add dry ingredients all at once to the wet. Stir just until combined, small lumps in the
batter is good.
Spoon batter into greased muffin/cupcake pan. For large tall muffins, fill the cup to
the top, this will yield 9 muffins, for smaller muffins, fill ¾ of the way to the top, this
will yield 12 muffins. Distribute streusel evenly over muffins (recipe follows). Bake
in preheated oven for 18-24 minutes until they test done (test with toothpick, toothpick
should come out clean with no batter, a few moist crumbs are OK.
Streusel Topping
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mash with a fork until
butter is worked in and the mixture resembles coarse sand.

It IS Good :)

Just tried your recipe. It was really good. Thank you. :chef:
I went ahead and used the canned pie stuff anyways. It's cold here today muffins and a cup of coffee sounded good at the time. Cheated a little bit. Used my pie maker instead of the oven. Easily made 11.

Munky.

Chef Munky said:
I went ahead and used the canned pie stuff anyways. It's cold here today muffins and a cup of coffee sounded good at the time. Cheated a little bit. Used my pie maker instead of the oven. Easily made 11.

Munky.
Since I focus on helping beginners learn, I like to give specific instructions for successful results. The recipe as written, I know that it will work, that's why I instruct not to make substitutions, since baking is chemistry. Pumpkin pie filling mix is a thinner, more liquid product than just plain pumpkin so it can affect the texture and how it rises (or could cause it to fall after baking).

With that said, experimentation can be fun, and sometimes substitutions work out well as I see they did for you! Glad you liked them!

Dear Bakechef:
I would like to make your Spiced Pumpkin Muffins. As in here I cant get the canned pumpkin, can I just boil it?
And where it says "In a large bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin, butter (or oil), eggs and water" Its this the water from the boiled pumplin? and how much?
Sorry to be questioning you at this time of the year, but I am not the best baker in the world...:(
Thanks for your advise.
And have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year.......:)

You can use pumpkin, squash, or even sweet potatoes that have been roasted or boiled until tender. The water is just water from the tap, not the cooking water.

Dear Bakechef:
I would like to make your Spiced Pumpkin Muffins. As in here I cant get the canned pumpkin, can I just boil it?
And where it says "In a large bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin, butter (or oil), eggs and water" Its this the water from the boiled pumplin? and how much?
Sorry to be questioning you at this time of the year, but I am not the best baker in the world...:(
Thanks for your advise.
And have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year.......:)

Am I missing something here? I don't see water listed in the ingredients and I have gone over them several times. Am I going blind?

Munky.

If you look at the listed ingredients on the pie mix, you will see that it already has the sugar along with corn syrup and spices already in the can. If you follow the recipe as given you are then doubling the mount of sweetness along with the spices. And the corn sysrup makes it more liquidy. I am glad that your muffins turned out all right. If you are going to want to make these again, I would suggest that you stock up on the regular pumpkin in a can as this item is usually only on the shelves during this time of year. Once the supply is gone, it won't be back until next fall. :chef:

If you look at the listed ingredients on the pie mix, you will see that it already has the sugar along with corn syrup and spices already in the can. If you follow the recipe as given you are then doubling the mount of sweetness along with the spices. And the corn sysrup makes it more liquidy. I am glad that your muffins turned out all right. If you are going to want to make these again, I would suggest that you stock up on the regular pumpkin in a can as this item is usually only on the shelves during this time of year. Once the supply is gone, it won't be back until next fall. :chef:

Sugar and Spice makes Munky's Nice. :LOL:

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom