"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Pumpkin spice muffins

Spiced Pumpkin Muffins
From baking better.com

1 cups all purpose flour
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon nutmeg
teaspoon allspice
teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup granulated sugar (or light brown sugar)
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1/3 cup melted butter or oil
2 eggs
cup milk
Preheat oven to 350, and grease a muffin pan with pan spray.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and ground ginger in a
small bowl, whisk to combine.
In a large bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin, butter (or oil), eggs and water. Whisk to
combine thoroughly.
Add dry ingredients all at once to the wet. Stir just until combined, small lumps in the
batter is good.
Spoon batter into greased muffin/cupcake pan. For large tall muffins, fill the cup to
the top, this will yield 9 muffins, for smaller muffins, fill of the way to the top, this
will yield 12 muffins. Distribute streusel evenly over muffins (recipe follows). Bake
in preheated oven for 18-24 minutes until they test done (test with toothpick, toothpick
should come out clean with no batter, a few moist crumbs are OK.
Streusel Topping
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mash with a fork until
butter is worked in and the mixture resembles coarse sand.

__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Recipe sounds good. Thank you.
Why can't you use the pumpkin pie mix?
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
It IS Good :)

Just tried your recipe. It was really good. Thank you.
I went ahead and used the canned pie stuff anyways. It's cold here today muffins and a cup of coffee sounded good at the time. Cheated a little bit. Used my pie maker instead of the oven. Easily made 11.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky
Just tried your recipe. It was really good. Thank you.
I went ahead and used the canned pie stuff anyways. It's cold here today muffins and a cup of coffee sounded good at the time. Cheated a little bit. Used my pie maker instead of the oven. Easily made 11.

Munky.
Since I focus on helping beginners learn, I like to give specific instructions for successful results. The recipe as written, I know that it will work, that's why I instruct not to make substitutions, since baking is chemistry. Pumpkin pie filling mix is a thinner, more liquid product than just plain pumpkin so it can affect the texture and how it rises (or could cause it to fall after baking).

With that said, experimentation can be fun, and sometimes substitutions work out well as I see they did for you! Glad you liked them!
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colombia, South America
Posts: 153
Dear Bakechef:
I would like to make your Spiced Pumpkin Muffins. As in here I cant get the canned pumpkin, can I just boil it?
And where it says "In a large bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin, butter (or oil), eggs and water" Its this the water from the boiled pumplin? and how much?
Sorry to be questioning you at this time of the year, but I am not the best baker in the world...
Thanks for your advise.
And have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year.......
__________________
2belucile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
You can use pumpkin, squash, or even sweet potatoes that have been roasted or boiled until tender. The water is just water from the tap, not the cooking water.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colombia, South America
Posts: 153
Thanks Bakechef.
I will do it soon, with the pumpkin.
I love your blog, everything is very well explained.
__________________
2belucile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belucile View Post
Dear Bakechef:
I would like to make your Spiced Pumpkin Muffins. As in here I cant get the canned pumpkin, can I just boil it?
And where it says "In a large bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin, butter (or oil), eggs and water" Its this the water from the boiled pumplin? and how much?
Sorry to be questioning you at this time of the year, but I am not the best baker in the world...
Thanks for your advise.
And have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year.......
Am I missing something here? I don't see water listed in the ingredients and I have gone over them several times. Am I going blind?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Just tried your recipe. It was really good. Thank you.
I went ahead and used the canned pie stuff anyways. It's cold here today muffins and a cup of coffee sounded good at the time. Cheated a little bit. Used my pie maker instead of the oven. Easily made 11.
Munky.
If you look at the listed ingredients on the pie mix, you will see that it already has the sugar along with corn syrup and spices already in the can. If you follow the recipe as given you are then doubling the mount of sweetness along with the spices. And the corn sysrup makes it more liquidy. I am glad that your muffins turned out all right. If you are going to want to make these again, I would suggest that you stock up on the regular pumpkin in a can as this item is usually only on the shelves during this time of year. Once the supply is gone, it won't be back until next fall.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you look at the listed ingredients on the pie mix, you will see that it already has the sugar along with corn syrup and spices already in the can. If you follow the recipe as given you are then doubling the mount of sweetness along with the spices. And the corn sysrup makes it more liquidy. I am glad that your muffins turned out all right. If you are going to want to make these again, I would suggest that you stock up on the regular pumpkin in a can as this item is usually only on the shelves during this time of year. Once the supply is gone, it won't be back until next fall.
Sugar and Spice makes Munky's Nice.

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pumpkin

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.