Real Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hassified

Assistant Cook
Please note: Less kneading, the fluffier the biscuit. Also, always use SELF-RISING flour. Plain flour will create biscuits that look like shot-glass coasters.

2 cups self-rising flour
dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sweet milk
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Lightly grease a 14x16-inch baking pan.

Sift flour, salt, and sugar together into a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with two knives or your fingers until the mixture is coarse.

Add the buttermilk, milk, and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Mix lightly until combined, but do not overmix. Pour the mixture out onto a floured surface.

With floured hands, knead the dough two or three times. (If biscuits are to be used for sandwiches, such as ham biscuits or other breakfast sandwiches, knead them a few extra times.)

With floured hands, pat out the dough approximately 1/2 inch thick. Using a floured biscuit cutter or standard-size can, cut out biscuits. Do not twist the cutter when doing this -- press straight down. (You can re-knead the dough scraps, but biscuits from this cutting will be tougher, more suitable for sandwiches.)

Place the biscuits on a baking pan. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove the biscuits from teh oven and brush them with the remaining butter. Serve immediately.

I know someone will ask....
Sweet milk is just whole milk.

I'm not trying to be smart but every time I give out this recipe, I'm asked what is sweet milk.

craving for some Southern Buttermilk Biscuits right now...and with gravy sounds so divine...also really crispy southern fried chicken would be awesome

I make a nice blond roux using bacon grease and then add milk and a light sprinkling of salt. :chef:

MMM biscuits and graaaavy...now I just need to find a GOOD gravy recipe. Canned or packaged is sacrilidge and definately not sufficient.

When I make creamed turkey on toast I just use a medium white sauce from the Betty Crocker cookbook. It calls for butter, flour, milk, salt, and pepper. Youo could probably just usebacon or sausage drippings in place of the butter and I'm sure it would be great! Matter of fact I might have to make this tomorrow morning. Crap, I'm never gonna lose any weight!

Back
Top Bottom