"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

What causes bread to go stale is that the cold of the fridge sucks out the moisture in the bread. I break a loaf of bread in half. One half for the freezer and one half for the fridge. Both are well sealed. I often will use my food saver for the freezer one. Just use the sealer option alone.

I buy sliced Italian bread that is locally made here in Eastie. No preservatives. So it goes stale quickly if I don't keep it in the fridge.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Its just me and my wife.
As soon as the bread is brought home, it is sealed and put in the freezer. Unless we are going to eat it all that very day.
Freezing for us is a life saver. We don't have good bakery's here. So when we find a good loaf or some very nice rolls, we buy them and freeze them.

Frozen bread, that has been sealed well during freezing is very close to the freshness the day it was purchased if you allow it to thaw out completely while still sealed.
Or remove what you need and use it immediately.

I have been freezing my bread for my entire life.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What causes bread to go stale is that the cold of the fridge sucks out the moisture in the bread. I break a loaf of bread in half. One half for the freezer and one half for the fridge. Both are well sealed. I often will use my food saver for the freezer one. Just use the sealer option alone.

I buy sliced Italian bread that is locally made here in Eastie. No preservatives. So it goes stale quickly if I don't keep it in the fridge.
According to Cooks Illustrated,

Quote:
The staling of bread and other starch-based foods is due to a process called retrogradation. In the bread-making process, water hydrates the starches in the flour and then, as the loaf bakes, the starches gelatinize and soften. Over time, the starches in that baked loaf crystallize and incorporate water into the crystalline structure, leading to an apparently dry, stale loaf. The good news is that the water doesn’t travel very far: Most of it remains trapped within the starch crystals. This proximity makes the retrogradation process reversible, at least for a little while.
So while stale bread is dry, it's not because of evaporation or cold air. Freezing retards retrogradation.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have my Christmas sandwich bread hanging outside to keep it frozen. Last week, it never rose above 3 degrees F. all week long. It's still in the teens, plenty cold enough for my needs. If it warms into the 20's, it's still cold enough. I love my giant, outdoor freezer this time of year.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
So there's something good about freezing weather! I live in pretty balmy weather here, but apparently my idea of freezing works well wherever you are.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Head Chef

I don't watch that TV show The Big Bang Theory much at all, but the lead nerd explained in scientific words why storing bread in the fridge decreases its shelf life. I forget exactly what he said.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I don't watch that TV show The Big Bang Theory much at all, but the lead nerd explained in scientific words why storing bread in the fridge decreases its shelf life. I forget exactly what he said.

Seeking scientific explanations on a half hour TV comedy. I wish I'd thought of that.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Google is my friend! (grin)

"Sheldon: You shouldn’t keep your bread in the refrigerator. Staleness is caused by crystallization of the starch molecules, which occurs faster at cool temperatures."

And I wouldn't miss a single episode of the Big Bang Theory! One of the few shows that I'll watch old re-runs. :)
Old 12-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Google is my friend! (grin)

"Sheldon: You shouldn’t keep your bread in the refrigerator. Staleness is caused by crystallization of the starch molecules, which occurs faster at cool temperatures."

Thanks for that affirmation. I still keep bread in the fridge
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have tried both in the fridge and not in the fridge. I find it goes mouldy much quicker if I don't put it in the fridge. I buy bread with no preservatives.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
I had a little disagreement with my sister. I always heard that you don't refrigerate breads, because it actually makes it go stale quicker...hense...bread boxes. She's says the opposite.

Just wondering which is true?
The French have the right idea. Buy the bread fresh everyday or even 2 or 3 times a day in some families.

What not to do is seal it up in a plastic box at room temp. It'll grow a very interesting green beard - unless it's nuked with chemical preservatives of course

Freezing works if you seal the bread in bags, excluding as much air as poss.

Tags
bread, breads