"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 12-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Refrigerate breads?

I had a little disagreement with my sister. I always heard that you don't refrigerate breads, because it actually makes it go stale quicker...hense...bread boxes. She's says the opposite.

Just wondering which is true?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Head Chef

I find that there are some breads that need to be refrigerated because they don't have the preservatives in them that some do.

A large family----- probably not a problem. But a person living alone----- maybe.

A long time ago I left a load of Wonder Bread (aka balloon bread) out on the counter to see how long before it got moldy.

The answer? Never. After a few months I needed the counter space. LOL Still had some spring in the slices too.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Refrigerating bread does stave off spoiling but it also speeds up staling. Freezing bread prolongs its life and prevents mold, and it only takes about 10 minutes to thaw.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If bread isn't going to be used in a reasonable length of time, I freeze it and take out slices as needed and either toast them from frozen or defrost them in the microwave. I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

Andy said:
" I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off."

Whatcha got against penicillin?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

We always refrigerate our bread, well sealed. Sandwich bread, bagels and muffins are toasted, rolls are heated, and tortilla's are flame toasted on the stove burners. Although refrigerated bread may seem stale right out of the fridge, heating it solves that. I've never had bread go moldy in the fridge.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If bread isn't going to be used in a reasonable length of time, I freeze it and take out slices as needed and either toast them from frozen or defrost them in the microwave. I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off.
My mother used to make pink and green breads, cut it into slices, and the slices into little squares, them make tuna, or egg salad, or potted meat sandwiches to serve at house parties and such. Nobody complained about multi-colored breads. I don't understand why you should have a problem with them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Andy said:
" I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off."

Whatcha got against penicillin?

Nothing. Penicillin is white.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I live alone and always refrigerate breads. They don't get too stale to eat alone, but usually they get toasted, so no problem.

Refrigeration for me keeps the bread products from molding long enough for me to use tham up.

I'd love to be able to freeze some of them, but freezer space is an issue.

Most of my freezer space is dedicated to leftovers and bread takes up a lot of space.

If I buy french bread or other "fancy" bread products, I plan to use them up quickly - keep them in the 'fridge or find room in the freezer.

Regular breads stay in the fridge all the time, and last for weeks.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I live alone and always refrigerate breads. They don't get too stale to eat alone, but usually they get toasted, so no problem.

Refrigeration for me keeps the bread products from molding long enough for me to use tham up.

I'd love to be able to freeze some of them, but freezer space is an issue.

Most of my freezer space is dedicated to leftovers and bread takes up a lot of space.

If I buy french bread or other "fancy" bread products, I plan to use them up quickly - keep them in the 'fridge or find room in the freezer.

Regular breads stay in the fridge all the time, and last for weeks.
I have my Christmas sandwich bread hanging outside to keep it frozen. Last week, it never rose above 3 degrees F. all week long. It's still in the teens, plenty cold enough for my needs. If it warms into the 20's, it's still cold enough. I love my giant, outdoor freezer this time of year.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread, breads